Reporter, Wildlife Watch
National GeographicWashington, DC
Full Time Job
National Geographic Partners is seeking a reporter for Wildlife Watch, a small team within the Nat Geo newsroom that focuses on wildlife crime and exploitation. Wildlife Watch is funded by the National Geographic Society and seeks to shine a light on commercial-scale wildlife poaching, trafficking, and other exploitive activities. Wildlife Watch publishes news stories, explainers, features, and investigative pieces, with an aim toward creating impactful journalism that sheds light on animal welfare issues around the globe. We're looking for someone with strong research, reporting and writing skills who can turn around stories quickly to help us maintain a drumbeat of wildlife crime coverage online, and who can produce occasional investigative pieces.
• Report and write news stories and the occasional enterprise/investigative feature on wildlife crime/exploitation while meeting National Geographic's standards for accurate, authoritative reporting and writing.
• Generate story ideas and develop sources relevant to the beat.
• Monitor developments in wildlife crime/exploitation to stay on top of trends and break stories
• Produce your own stories, and occasionally those of other writers, for the web using our content management system.
• Collaborate with the Wildlife Watch team's editor, writers, photo editors, and social media editors for each of your stories.
• Be engaged on social media to monitor news events and build a smart, respectful, fact-based and authoritative dialogue with readers.
• Attend weekly Wildlife Watch meeting to pitch story ideas and to review any freelance pitches we've received.
• Through our engagement with the public, occasional public speaking opportunities may arise.
• 3 to 5 years experience as a reporter. News and some enterprise or investigative reporting experience preferred.
• Interest in wildlife issues. Experience covering wildlife/wildlife crime preferred but not necessary.
• Ability to turn around breaking stories quickly
• Ability to file clean copy
• Digitally proficient in online story production and social media
• Proven track record of accurate reporting
• Strong research skills
• Comfortable with FOIA and document-driven reporting
• Good communication and interpersonal skills; a team player
• Ability to grasp and critically evaluate story ideas for their news value and significance.
• Computer skills: Word, Social media platforms, AEM content management system, possibly InCopy.
• Critical thinking skills to evaluate newsworthiness and relevance of story ideas to our audience.
• Self-directed learner able to get up to speed on the beat quickly
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
The National Geographic Channels form the television and production arm of National Geographic Partners, a joint venture between 21st Century Fox and the National Geographic Society. As a global leader in premium science, adventure and exploration programming, the Channels include: National Geographic Channel (NGC), Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo People and Nat Geo MUNDO. Additionally, the Channels also run the in-house television production unit, National Geographic Studios. The Channels contribute to the National Geographic Society's commitment to exploration, conservation and education with entertaining, innovative programming from A-level talent around the world, and with profits that help support the society's mission. Globally, NGC is available in more than 440 million homes in 171 countries and 45 languages, and Nat Geo WILD is available in 131 countries and 38 languages. National Geographic Partners is also a leader in social media, with a fan base of 250 million people across all of its social pages. NGC contributes over 55 million social media fans globally on Facebook alone.