National GeographicWashington, DC
Full Time Job
The Photo Editor, Science and Innovation will work with photographers, writers, editors, interactive designers, and web producers to lead the visual approach for the Science & Innovation vertical.
This person will create multiplatform stories that combine rich journalism with powerful visual storytelling. The position requires a sophisticated visual aesthetic, strong editing skills, and the ability to collaborate with other editors to commission and research photo content reflective of National Geographic's photographic standards.
The Photo Editor will report to the Deputy Director of Photography, Digital (TBH), and will oversee the Associate Photo Editor, Science & Innovation to illustrate stories and build galleries.
• Lead visual approach for National Geographic's Science & Innovation Vertical, working alongside editors, writers, and video producers
• Pitch and commission original photo stories for the Science & Innovation Vertical
• Research and edit photo stories for Science & Innovation
• Work alongside Graphics Editor to develop infographics
• Work alongside NGM editors to develop stories based on NGM science coverage
• Oversee Associate Photo Editor to research photos to illustrate daily coverage, and to build photo galleries
• Cultivate and maintain relationships in the photo community with an eye towards producing stories for National Geographic
• Bachelor's degree
• 3-5 years experience as a photo editor at editorial publication or equivalent
• Editorial sensibility, and ability make editorial judgments
• Great visual taste, extensive knowledge of photography and photographers
• Strong research and communication skills
• Ability to work independently and problem solve creatively
• Experience in digital journalism and proficiency in social media is a plus
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
The National Geographic Channels form the television and production arm of National Geographic Partners, a joint venture between 21st Century Fox and the National Geographic Society. As a global leader in premium science, adventure and exploration programming, the Channels include: National Geographic Channel (NGC), Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo People and Nat Geo MUNDO. Additionally, the Channels also run the in-house television production unit, National Geographic Studios. The Channels contribute to the National Geographic Society's commitment to exploration, conservation and education with entertaining, innovative programming from A-level talent around the world, and with profits that help support the society's mission. Globally, NGC is available in more than 440 million homes in 171 countries and 45 languages, and Nat Geo WILD is available in 131 countries and 38 languages. National Geographic Partners is also a leader in social media, with a fan base of 250 million people across all of its social pages. NGC contributes over 55 million social media fans globally on Facebook alone.