Deputy Director Of Photography
National GeographicWashington, DC
Full Time Job
The Deputy Director of Photography, Print will be responsible for managing the photographic editorial staff of the National Geographic magazine, assisting the Director of Photography in the assigning, evaluating and coordination of all photographic editorial content, recruiting and nurturing diverse photographic talent and managing the deadlines and budgets of NGM. They will also be called upon to represent the photographic leadership of NGP both within and outside of the company.
• Creates and assists the Director of Photography in accomplishing the strategic goals of the magazine and the photo department through meetings and collaborations with the staff and NGP stakeholders. Collaborates and finds sponsors and editorial partners outside of the company for financial and editorial support.
• The production of a high quality, on brand visual storytelling product that aligns with the larger goals of the company,
• Leads and manages the photo editorial staff of the NG magazine, meets deadlines, assists on maintaining and meeting budget goals, approves travel and expenses for photo staff.
• A flexible, focused team that creates the very best visual content and meets budget goals.
• Leads and supports the high level of quality photography content by assigning the best photographers, reviewing the work of the photo editors and reviewing the story layouts. Collaborates with the digital and social teams to promote and publish NGM content across platforms.
• Maintains the high level of visual storytelling that is iconic of the brand.
• Seek and develop new and diverse photographic talent by attending conferences, photography festivals and portfolio reviews. Recruits and manages the NGP Photo Interns by maintaining relationships with educational institutions.
• We work with the best photographers in the world and we continually seek and nurture new and diverse talent so that we retain our leadership position in photography.
• Edits and produces visual content for NGM magazine by participating directly as the photo editor for an assigned story.
• Stays in touch with the nuts and bolts of the NGM storytelling process to better lead the photo editing staff.
• Bachelor's degree is preferred.
• At least 7 years of expertise in editorial journalism and some leadership experience, knowledge of a wide range of photographers and photography community.
• Highly organized, detail oriented, research skills.
• Microsoft word, Adobe Acrobat, Filemaker Pro, Photoshop, photo editing software.
• Video editing skills is a plus
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.