Associate Director, Legal & Business Affairs
National GeographicWashington, DC
Full Time Job
The Associate Legal Director's responsibilities include negotiating and drafting a wide variety of agreements, including TV programming deals (acquisitions, commissions, co-productions and development deals), domestic and international license agreements, and other agreements for NGP's various business units. Provide legal analysis to internal clients as needed (often concerning legal rights and responsibilities and risk assessment) in order to make informed business decisions.
• TV programming deals (acquisitions, commissions, co-productions and development deals), domestic and international license agreements, on-camera talent, and other transaction agreements for NGP's various business units
• Analyzing contracts in response to business questions, as well as to provide necessary contractual/research information to department SVP and VPs (to assist in business development, litigation, risk assessment, etc.)
• Minimizing risk of legal exposure and maximizing protection of NGP assets including, including intellectual property rights.
• JD degree and active member of a state bar. Requires minimum of 2-5 years prior law practice in a law firm setting in a sophisticated transactional or litigation department. Preference will be given to individuals with relevant television, digital and/or licensing experience.
• Strong interpersonal skills (multi-cultural/ written/verbal/negotiation).
• Familiarity with Word, Adobe and Excel
• Must be able to respond to and interact with senior level creative and business executives in a professional, articulate, personable and useful manner. Must be very organized and detail-oriented. Must be comfortable multi-tasking and working in a fast-paced environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
The National Geographic Channels form the television and production arm of National Geographic Partners, a joint venture between 21st Century Fox and the National Geographic Society. As a global leader in premium science, adventure and exploration programming, the Channels include: National Geographic Channel (NGC), Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo People and Nat Geo MUNDO. Additionally, the Channels also run the in-house television production unit, National Geographic Studios. The Channels contribute to the National Geographic Society's commitment to exploration, conservation and education with entertaining, innovative programming from A-level talent around the world, and with profits that help support the society's mission. Globally, NGC is available in more than 440 million homes in 171 countries and 45 languages, and Nat Geo WILD is available in 131 countries and 38 languages. National Geographic Partners is also a leader in social media, with a fan base of 250 million people across all of its social pages. NGC contributes over 55 million social media fans globally on Facebook alone.