Manager, UX Research - Viacom
MTVNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Manager of UX Research is an integral part of Viacom Media Networks, working as a core member of the Product Design team. The candidate will inform UX and UI design solutions for the multiplatform product suite across Global Entertainment; these include the full complement of Web and App experiences for our high-visibility brands MTV, Comedy Central, BET, Nickelodeon, and Paramount Network chief among them.
This is an opportunity to shape the user experiences of millions of fans across a wide suite of digital entertainment products.
The candidate will be a key contributor throughout the product development process, working with designers, product owners, project managers, engineers and key stakeholders crafting user testing methodologies, hypotheses, test plans, and prototypes with the end-goal of validating UX/UI product design solutions through moderated, qualitative usability labs.
The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker with superior research, storytelling and management skills along with being equally comfortable living in both the big picture of a user’s ecosystem and the nitty gritty details of a specific user interaction.
This role will have support from junior members of the team and report to the Vice President of UX & Product Design, working with design directors on a daily basis.
• Lead UX research, usability testing, and consumer insights learnings as part of Product Design Team
• Work with product owners, product designers, quantitative analysts, marketers, and content programmers across the Global Entertainment Product Group to proactively identify opportunities to bring the voice of the consumer into strategic and tactical product conversations
• Influence the direction of specific user research opportunities, drawing on subject matter expertise and insights from indirectly related initiatives to guide consideration towards the biggest/best opportunities for the matter at hand
• Lead prioritization of what we research, and when we research it. Use best judgment on whether to leverage rapid user testing, internal panels, or external vendors to gain user insights that map directly back to product opportunities
• Maintain working knowledge of external products that compete both directly and indirectly with Viacom for users’ time, and be able to speak to their feature set and user experience
• Independently recruit users, design, and run the usability sessions for all the Global Entertainment Group product/design teams
• Proactively identify and integrate secondary sources/external resource into the product process where relevant
• Summarize and analyze results and actionable/meaningful insights that drive design decisions leading to amazing user experiences
• Serve as an expert in digital and mobile video on-demand technology and trends, by going deep on user experience, business value to Viacom, broader market value, and potential threats/opportunities
• Act as an ambassador throughout Viacom for rapid user testing, helping product and research teams see how they can achieve actionable results with little time and effort
• Build new relationships across the company and share learnings to more effectively achieve Viacom’s research and analytics objectives
• BA/BS or equivalent experience
• 5 years of relevant experience
• Ability to translate research findings into easily digestible, actionable insights
• Experience with digital video products, technology, operations and industry, including processes and challenges
• Familiarity of the ever-evolving media industry
• Comfortable interviewing and observing people in many different situations and also putting them at ease
• Excellent ability to conceive, prioritize, and execute on plans
• Ability to juggle multiple tasks and set priorities to ensure deadlines are met or exceeded
• Ability to partner with all levels of management and employees
• Collaborative approach with ability to drive towards consensus and resolution
• Strong ability to communicate at both detailed and abstract levels
• Excellent communication and relationship management skills