Manager, Social Media
MTVNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Social Media Manager will support and work with the Social Media Director and MTV News team in a variety of tasks and daily operations, including writing and overseeing distribution of social media content (i.e. promotion of MTV News stories and digital/social content, on-the-ground executions, and paid social campaigns) from start to finish (strategy, planning, execution, reporting).
The Social Media Manager should be well-versed in social trends and strategies within the news/editorial space, have strong writing skills, and be a strong creative comfortable with creating real-time social content, innovating as needed to reflect a fast-paced news environment.
Candidates must have experience creating and managing content across all social platforms (preferably for editorial/news brands, but not required) with an eye towards the convergence of these platforms
along with a background in writing/editorial, community management, engagement and growth.
Experience creating social-optimized video is a significant plus. They will work closely interdepartmentally and throughout the company both inside and outside the MTV News Digital sphere. Developing and managing relationships with MTV’s On-Air Producers, Development Team, Product Development, Editorial, Design, Technology, Marketing, and Ad Sales is a primary responsibility.
• Working with team coordinators to draft impactful, timely, engaging and consumer-facing posts related to MTV News content.
• Understanding the latest trends in social media, including advertising formats, channels and technologies to positively affect audience growth and key metrics (including video views, social
engagement and site traffic).
• Working with editors and teams across MTV News to optimize editorial and video content for
• Consistently monitoring social trends, content and conversations to inform content across platforms (some evening and weekend work as well as travel may be required for breaking news stories, stunts and live-tweeting).
• Developing working relationships with internal partners as well as external platforms.
• Partnering with internal social teams on content cross-promotion strategies.
• Collaborating with outside stakeholders (Music Programming, on-air producers, Integrated Marketing, other business units, etc) to ensure that strategic objectives are understood in
concept development, and met.
• Working with Research teams and third-party apps to identify and track relevant analytics.
• Working with Senior team members and research team to audit measurement and listening tools annually and provide recommendations for optimization.
• BA required.
• At least 4 years of professional experience in social media or editorial work; social media experience at an editorial/news brand preferred, but not required.
• Expert user and intimate familiarity with social platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, YouTube, and an understanding of the benefits and differences of each.
• Proficient in social media content creation (both static and motion), up-to-date on trends and the latest content types being created in the social entertainment industry space.
• Experience developing experiences that drive engagement in social media.
• Experience working across many different teams (including Editorial, Marketing, Video and others) to inform and produce content.
• A clear understanding of the MTV brand and a passion for creating innovative content for its audience.
• A passion for pop culture and trending news.