Touring Technical Director/Master Electrician
Mills EntertainmentSaratoga Springs, NY
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Participate in production meetings, conference calls, and training sessions prior to the tour dates, as needed
• Conduct technical advances, working in conjunction with the Company Manager who advances front of house, catering, and accommodations
• Work with touring Master Carpenter to finalize lineset schedules when a venue cannot provide exact placements we request
• Determine when lighting substitutions and/or cuts may have to be made on a venue to venue basis
• Ensure all touring equipment is safely and efficiently loaded on and off the truck during load-in and load-out, in conjunction with the Master Carpenter.
• Supervise and direct local lighting crew throughout lighting load-in, focus, and strike.
• Maintain all tour lighting equipment, including basic maintenance and troubleshooting on moving fixtures and console when necessary
• Maintain a log of all maintenance and troubleshooting done on equipment while on the road to be shared and discussed during production meetings
• Update and maintain show files on a venue to venue basis, including adjusting levels and timing to fit within a venue's parameters, and ensuring a show file is saved for every venue.
• Ensure console is connected via MIDI to the shows computer prior to house open. Stage Manager will run both lighting and sound cues for performances.
• Run the deck during performances with the assistance of the touring Master Carpenter
• Call the truck pack from deck during load-in and load-out, with assistance from the touring Master Carpenter and working in conjunction with the touring A1 who calls pack at the truck
• Participate in weekly Production meetings and general tour check-ins
• Lend assistance to other departments when available
• Share in driving responsibilities with touring company. Tour travels in 15 person passenger vans.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
• Must have prior touring experience
• Proficient at programming, operating, and troubleshooting on an ETC Ion
• Proficient with the set-up, operation, and troubleshooting of Mac Viper Profile's
• Competent with the set-up, operation, and troubleshooting of MIDI show control
• Competent as a carpenter
• Experience with basic rigging techniques
• Experienced with calling a conventional lighting focus
• Astute attention to detail
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work cross-functionally, collaborating with others
• Able to manage multiple projects at once, and operate in line with proven systems
• Must be able to solve problems as and when they may arise
• Strong organizational and adaptability skills
• Positive attitude and the ability to remain effective under pressure
• Experience working in a dynamic, high-energy environment with a demanding workload
• Prior experience working with and supervising a local crew under IATSE union regulations
• Prior experience in providing general direction to a crew
• Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
• Have a valid driver's license and clean driving record
• Must pass a background check
• Higher consideration will be given to candidates with related touring experience of 2 or more years
• Higher consideration will be given to candidates who have previously toured with a theatrical show
• Higher consideration will be given to candidates with a background in theatre
Weekly rate is $850.00. Travel, accommodations, and per-diem are provided.
Position runs December 2018 through June 2019 with possible layoffs.
This is a touring position that will require driving.