Touring Master Carpenter
Mills EntertainmentSaratoga Springs, NY
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Participate in production meetings, conference calls, and training sessions prior to tour dates, as needed
• Participate in technical advances as needed, assisting the Technical Director in adjusting touring lineset schedule when necessary on a venue to venue basis
• Supervise and direct local carpentry crew and participate in scenic build and strike, including the rigging of multiple scenic items to house pipes, ensuring a safe working space on deck throughout tours stay
• Maintain touring scenic elements as needed, including but not limited to paint touch-ups and hardware replacements
• Assist the Technical Director in running the deck during performance
• Assist the Technical Director in calling the truck pack from deck, including the pack of the scenic carts, working in conjunction with the touring A1 who calls pack in the truck
• Maintain a log of all maintenance and troubleshooting done on scenic elements while on the road, to be shared and discussed during production meetings
• Participate in weekly Production meetings and general tour check-ins
• Lend assistance to other departments when available
• Share in driving responsibilities with touring company. Tour travels in 15 person passenger vans.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
• Must have prior touring experience
• Proficient as a carpenter
• Must have experience with rigging techniques and counter weight systems
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work cross-functionally, collaborating with others
• Able to manage multiple projects at once, and operate in line with proven systems
• Must be able to solve problems as and when they may arise
• Strong organizational and adaptability skills
• Positive attitude and the ability to remain effective under pressure
• Experience working in a dynamic, high-energy environment with a demanding workload
• Prior experience working with and supervising a local crew under IATSE union regulations.
• Prior experience in providing general direction to a crew
• Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
• Have a valid driver's license and clean driving record
• Must pass a background check
• Higher consideration will be given to candidates with related touring experience of 2 or more years
• Higher consideration will be given to candidates who have previously toured with a theatrical show
• Higher consideration will be given to candidates with a background in theatre
Weekly rate is $800.00. Travel, accommodations, and per-diem are provided.
Position runs December 2018 through June 2019 with possible layoffs.
This is a touring position that will require driving.