Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.New York, NY
Full Time Job
EPIX, an MGM Company, is seeking a Video Engineer to help EPIX deliver state-of-the-art video playback experiences that allows users to stay engaged in the great storytelling that we deliver via our digital distribution platforms.
Are you passionate about the experience of watching movies & shows? Do you notice synced audio, fast and responsive and beautiful video start up? Are you a gearhead with respect to 4k, HDR standards, Dolby/THX and so on? Then we have a fantastic opportunity for you...
• Optimize audio and video codec usage, compression and platform support
• Implement systems and feedback loops that allows us to work with the right KPI's as it translates to video playback experiences
• Collaborate with our DevOps group and CDN vendors to put in place methods and tools for state-of-the-art content delivery
• Implement systems for automated testing and analysis of video quality, as new content is imported into the EPIX digital systems
• Define and collaborate on building up a content encoding pipeline that encodes content using state-of-the-art methods for reaching a long tail of platforms
• Partner with internal teams to troubleshoot streaming challenges across all supported platforms
• Work with DRM vendors and solutions to provide studio compliant DRM playback across all platforms
• Follow standard bodies around audio and video compression codecs and device playback capabilities (SMTPE, W3C, DASH-IF, AV1, HDR, et al.)
SKILL REQUIREMENTS, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
• BSc in either Video Production with relevant technical experience, or BSc in Computer Science
• 2 years of encoding experience using methods such as ffmpeg, Elemental and similar
• Understands the impact of delivering great non-buffering playback experiences to users across a wide range of networks and devices
• Experience with cloud services such as AWS, GCP, Azure
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
• Passionate about building high quality experiences
• Team player who will thrive in our fluid, fast-paced, dynamic, scaling environment
• A highly motivated self-starter
• Operates with a sense of urgency and values accountability
• A creative problem solver who makes concise and informed decisions
• Detail-oriented and highly organized with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects from inception to post-production release
• Conducts him/herself with a high degree of integrity
EPIX, an MGM company, is a premium television network delivering a broad line-up of quality original series and documentaries, the latest movie releases and classic film franchises -- all available on TV, on demand, online and across devices. A destination for premium content, EPIX is tripling the amount of original programming on the network beginning in 2018, with a roster of original series including Get Shorty starring Chris O'Dowd and Ray Romano, spy thrillers Berlin Station and Deep State, the return of Mark Burnett's boxing competition series The Contender and late-night comedy docuseries Unprotected Sets, from executive producer Wanda Sykes. In 2019, the network will premiere new series Godfather of Harlem starring Forest Whitaker, Pennyworth, the origin story of Batman's butler Alfred, from DC, and Our Lady, LTD starring Sir Ben Kingsley. Launched in October 2009, EPIX is available nationwide through cable, telco, satellite and emerging digital distribution platforms providing more movies than any other network with thousands of titles available for streaming.
At EPIX, we value creative and innovative thinkers who want to join a team that's working to redefine television. To learn more about career opportunities with EPIX, please visit our website.
About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, and interactive media. The company owns the world’s largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Distribution Co., MGM International Television Distribution Inc., and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in domestic and international TV channels reaching over 130 countries.
MGM welcomes highly motivated individuals with strong communication skills and a passion for their work.