Tech Animator Lead
Method StudiosVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
The Technical Animation Lead is responsible for the smooth running of the technical animation (cloth, fur, hair) pipeline for a project, working closely with the Rigging, Technical Animation, and CG Supervisors. This will require maintaining existing technology, integrating third-party technology, and designing and implementing all-new, proprietary technology. This is a broad role which encompasses many departments and disciplines, including but not limited to: modeling, texturing, rigging, creature FX, (including at least fur, cloth, soft-body deformations), and animation.
• Lead team of technical animators to complete projects on time and on budget
• Work with Model department to ensure geometry being simulated meets Technical Animation needs
• Work with Rigging and Animation departments to ensure geometry or rigs delivered to Technical Animation meets needs
• Working with Production, assign technical animation tasks to appropriate artists
• Apply and simulate clothing, hair or other areas requiring technical animation.
• Analyze and fix any initial problems found and resimulate as needed.
• Ensure that geometry delivered to production pipeline meets each department's needs
• Develop techniques to ensure the requested animated geometry will integrate into a photorealistic environment.
• Respond quickly to notes from the VFX/DFX or CG Supervisor(s) before or during dailies to ensure best possible quality is maintained.
• Research, develop, implement or adapt existing technical animation solution that best fits the show needs with the available resource.
• Prevent problems by communicating early with stakeholders and coming up with solutions that are both efficient and technically sound.
• Initiate and maintain clear communication with Department Lead / Supervisor regarding project status and potential issues that might arise.
• Other duties as appropriate to the role and determined by supervisors.
• 5 years experience.
• Good working knowledge in a production environment with Maya.
• Self-sufficient and can manage both his / her own time and needs of the team in order to meet project deadlines.
• Houdini knowledge a plus.