Learning and Development Manager
Memphis GrizzliesMemphis, TN
Full Time Job
The Learning and Development Manager will assist in the design and implementation of various company, NBA and Team Player Development programs for the Memphis Grizzlies, FedExForum and G-League. This role evaluates the developmental needs of the company and drives training initiatives that are beneficial to all stakeholders. This position creatively designs, analysis and executes streamlined methods to not only educate employees, but to also enhance and recognize employee performance.
The position will be responsible for organizing and executing personal and professional development programs for all team members and players. The Learning and Development Manager will also provide support to athletes by implementing programs and curriculum to meet group, individual and team-specific needs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Team Member Development & Training
• Responsible for the design, development, implementation and delivery of company training programs at various levels throughout the organization.
• Conducts ongoing company-wide training and development needs assessments.
• Proactively identifies opportunities for learning to enhance business processes and increase leadership capabilities across the organization.
• Leveraging technology, creates and delivers new and existing learning content to support the development of the business.
• Partners with, trains, and coaches managers and supervisors in employee development efforts.
• Develops and maintains organizational communications specifically for training and development events and resources.
• Conducts follow-up studies of all completed training to evaluate and measure results and modifies programs as needed.
• Develop and deliver a variety of training tools for learners that may include interactive job aids (orientation and onboarding), learning assessments, On the Job Training guides, and train-the-trainer curriculum.
• Establish formalized on-boarding training plans for individual positions; set up training schedules for employees; perform follow-up on all new employees.
• Design training and developmental programs and processes for employee skill enhancement and career development that target individuals as well as groups.
• Attend and participate in professional group meetings; remain current and knowledgeable of industry standards, best practices, new trends and developments in the field of corporate training, leadership, compliance training and organizational development; incorporate new developments as appropriate into programs.
• Perform cause, knowledge, or gap analysis to help determine appropriate training delivery options.
• Construct leader guides, participant manuals, course evaluations, and other supportive materials to enhance performance improvement strategies. Partner and consult with department leaders to ensure department training materials, SOPs and other training tools are up-to-date and utilized effectively; coach and provide guidance to department leadership on implementation and utilization of training materials.
• Coach employees and managers regarding performance issues and professional development when necessary.
• Other job related duties as requested.
Player Development & Training
• Develop and conduct full team meetings, programs and activities over the course of each season dedicated to player development initiatives
• Develop personal enhancement plans for each player to assess, address and promote his personal and professional development.
• Design of a portfolio of personal and professional development opportunities
• Serve as the organizational liaison to work collaboratively with NBA G League Player Development including the coordinating of timing and logistics for Team Awareness Meetings;
• Understand NBA G League Player Development programs, resources and expectations, including the NBA G League Education Program with Arizona State University and Game Plan, Job Shadow Program, etc.;
• Maintain a high level of content knowledge relating to best practice trends in the NBA Player Development and community programs with specific emphasis on data driven reporting
• Ensure that internal and external audiences (players, families, staff, NBA, etc.) are kept apprised of special events and updates through newsletters, mailings, and other vehicles for direct communications
• Work collaboratively across teams and functional areas to effectively promote the Hustle team programs, values and behaviors and to deliver on business goals
• Provide support services to players, their families and significant others where needed;
• Work with the VP, Team Operations & Player Programs and strategic partners to develop and implement a Fiscal Year plan that leverages Hustle assets in support of organizational goals
• Support the VP, Team Operations & Player Programs and troubleshoot team/player issues as they arise
• Track the department budget process; ensure project documents are complete, current and stored appropriately
• Meeting Evolution Coordinator and serves as point on the departments logistics advance team when vetting program and event venue
• Manages calendar and meeting schedule and ensures that complete and accurate information is available on all matters
• Manage intern position
• Other duties as assigned
, Experience & Abilities
• Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university in Physical Education Teaching and Coaching, Educational Leadership, Social Work, Counseling, Sociology, Human Resources or related field
• At least three years of relevant experience working with professional/collegiate athletes in a team environment
• Three to five years of experience in human resource development, counseling and new program/curriculum development and implementation
• Strong presentation and teaching/facilitation skills. Excellent communicator, upbeat motivator, relates relevant stories, applies adult learning concepts and ability to tailor audience messaging to varied levels. Eager to help people grow.
• Strong scheduling, organizational and project management skills. Attention to detail. Proficiency in creating a clear vision and message.
• Leaderships skills and proficiency in administering academic support programming
• Must have excellent conflict resolution, business management and human relations skills.
• Ability to plan and work independently, demonstrating a high degree of initiative, follow-through and project completion.
• Must have high level of integrity and emotional intelligence
• Strong teamwork, cross-group collaboration and a commitment to building a shared voice
• Superior time management skills and ability to produce high quality work involving analysis, problem solving, organization and writing skills; Ability to manage and organize multiple priorities simultaneously
• Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Photoshop and the Internet
• Current with social media outlets and their use
• Work evenings and weekends as needed
• Must have a car, valid driver's license and valid auto insurance
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
• How did you hear about this job?
• Why are you interested in this opportunity?
• What is your highest level of education completed?
• Do you have at least three years of relevant experience in working with professional/collegiate athletes in a team environment?
• Do you have three to five years of experience in human resources development, counseling and new program/curriculum development and implementation?
• What is your current salary?
• What are your salary requirements?