Pipeline Technical Director
LucasfilmSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
Lucasfilm Animation and creators of the Emmy award winning animation series ''Star Wars: The Clone Wars'' and the highly successful animation series ''Star Wars: Rebels'' are looking for a versatile Pipeline Technical Director to join their production team.
The Pipeline TD is responsible for developing and maintaining software tools, providing front-line support to artists, and general troubleshooting of the animated television series pipeline. The primary focus is ensuring artist efficiency for the 3D Story / Previz department. Receives day-to-day direction and priorities from Pipeline Supervisor.
• Develop pipeline and asset management tools to meet immediate, show-directed production demands, ensuring facility-wide consistency as directed by the Pipeline Supervisor. Help maintain a wide array of existing workflows and scripts for the 3D Story / Previz department.
• Help artists with general problem-solving. Monitor email requests, package up problems and redirect to Pipeline Supervisor, Technical Director, or 3D Story Technicians.
• Test and validate tools and techniques in production. Work closely with Pipeline Supervisor in testing, and releasing new and modified software tools.
• When not crewed to shows, serve on software teams working on projects that improve the efficiency of asset setup, caching, and shot-data handoff between artists across the entire pipeline.
• Drive pipeline priorities in conjunction with Pipeline Supervisor.
• Assist Pipeline Supervisor in providing front-line support for the most complex of end-user problems; guide engineering teams in debugging technical issues and eliminating root causes of problems.
• Develop comprehensive knowledge of proprietary software and systems; work closely with R&D Engineers to drive the development of software and evolution of standards and conventions used in production to improve workflow.
• Update documentation for the pipeline and tools to reflect any changes that are made.
Required Skills / Competencies:
• Proficiency in Linux
• Experience with C, C
• Advanced Python scripting required
• Proficient in one or more of Maya, Nuke, Houdini, Katana, MentalRay, or similar.
• Ability to communicate cross-discipline and provide innovative solutions to pipeline issues.
• Detail oriented and strong self-sufficient trouble shooter.
• Comprehensive understanding of the entire Animation process, from previz to modeling and texturing, animation, lighting and compositing.
• Experience with production database systems
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Computer Science or a related technical field.
• Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining tools for use in computer graphics.
• At least 5 years production experience in CG/ Animation for film, commercials or television.
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Animation Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Animation Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.