Ilmxlab Environment Art Manager
Lucasfilm EntertainmentSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
Position at ILMxLAB
ILMxLAB builds immersive experiences for Virtual and Augmented Reality and other emerging platforms. Our mission is to tell stories in new ways that leverage real-time graphics on ultra high-end hardware. We combine techniques from film VFX production with techniques from the video game industry to produce real-time experiences of the highest fidelity.
The role of the Environment Supervisor is to lead a team of exceptional artists by both personally setting the bar in terms of skill-level, and managing each artist’s individual performance.
What You’ll Do
• Supervise a team of Environment Artists to accomplish ILMxLAB’s mission. Develop and hone the team’s skills to continuously raise the quality bar.
• Set the discipline’s standard for artistic and technical excellence, efficiency and performance by creating exemplary environment art assets that meets project requirements, and providing training and guidance to direct reports.
• Handle casting of artists to project or task assignments. Partner with Talent Management for opportunities to utilize artists in different ways.
• Engage in regular conversations with artists to give performance feedback, gauge individuals’ interests and support their career aspirations, including cross-functional skill-building. Perform management duties such as annual performance reviews.
• Set the cultural tone & reinforce positive behavior within your group. Work with studio leadership to define and continually refine and shape ILMxLAB’s culture.
• Partner with Talent Resource Managers on talent planning and casting artists to project assignments. Act as hiring manager and liaise with the Recruiting team when new staff are needed. Assist resource management in evaluating potential third-party production partners and collaborate with new partners to establish workflows.
• Work with Producers in the planning stages of proposed projects to advise on the scope of the work and make recommendations accordingly.
• Establish process and workflow for the discipline, and collaborate with other discipline supervisors to establish cross-functional workflow with other disciplines.
• Through continuing hands-on creation of environment art on projects, maintain deep knowledge and user experience on workflow and tools. Innovate discipline workflow and keep up to date on new tools/applications/trends in the industry.
• Define the discipline’s ‘Lead Artist’ project role per project. Help project leads solve scope, workflow, etc. issues throughout the project as needed.
• Speak on behalf of the discipline in technology development discussions to ensure that new development aligns with the discipline’s strategy and workflow.
What We’re Looking For
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in game development, digital art, computer graphics, game design, or related field or equivalent experience.
• Minimum of 10 years experience in game development designing, modeling, and texturing 3D assets on multiple shipped AAA titles.
• Minimum of 3 shipped titles as a Senior level artist or higher.
• Proficiency in major 2D (Photoshop) and 3D computer graphics software applications (Maya/3Ds Max, Zbrush/Mudbox, etc.)
• Experience with Substance Designer/Painter, Mari, WorldMachine, Quixel
• Demonstrated success leading a team of artists on projects
• Extensive experience working with Unreal 3 or 4, including terrain / landscape editing, level streaming set-up and implementation.
• Exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling.
• Excellent eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps of different material types
• Strong paint skills, multi-layered materials and effective texture layout.
• Strong understanding of PBR workflow, materials and lighting.
• Ability to switch between a wide range of styles.
• Experience with source control via Perforce or equivalent.
• Collaborative, team-player attitude: open & receptive to new ideas, constructive criticism, artistic direction and changes.
• Passion for real-time graphics and emerging platforms (VR, AR, etc).
• Experience being responsible for outsourced work
Here are some additional skills and experience that would add to your preparedness for this role:
• Knowledge of 2.5D projections and associated pipelines
• Experience working with photogrammetry
• Experience with Unity, FrostEd, Hammer, Radiant or other level editing tools
• Able to create stylized concept art and illustration
• An appreciation for source control
* A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all applications.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.