Industrial Light & MagicSydney, NS
Full Time Job
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s four studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a VFX Supervisor to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The VFX Supervisor is responsible for overseeing the ILM Sydney artists group, ensuring work is created to the quality and standards requested by the client and the ILM Sydney Producer, addressing technical issues, and identifying best practices and approaches as needed.
• Partner with producers and studio creative director to ensure the portfolio of work on all projects is accomplished efficiently, to the required quality standards, and within the schedule.
• Collaborate closely with the ILM VFX Supervisors across studios to ensure that all work that comes through ILM Sydney meets client specifications
• Runs dailies, give crew direction on shots and assets, aesthetic direction and feedback
• Develops methodology and approach to show, including how to get work completed efficiently and within show budget
• Lead the crew, provide mentoring, individual training and professional guidance as needed.
• Develop knowledge of the individual skills sets of VFX artists.
• Participate in show and annual performance reviews for the VFX artists.
• Work collaboratively with Producers and recruiting to confirm ongoing recruitment requirements including participation in reel reviews, interviewing, and recruitment outreach (as needed).
• Serves as a mentor within the studio and partners with Talent Management, Production and Training to develop training and guide artists overall professional development
• Represent ILM professionally and positively both within and outside the industry
• Aware of the impact creative decisions have on a show's schedule & budget, and be willing to change the creative choices, when possible, to stay on schedule budget.
• Maintain a high level of proficiency in current tools and methodologies - both proprietary and 3rd party applications available on the market.
• Partner with the Director of Production Technology, tech team leads, R&D and show supervisors to determine and advise on the optimum technical approach for any given project, both for immediate show needs and long term strategy.
/ Technical Competencies
• A demonstrable blend of technical and artistic skills, preferably with experience as a Technical Director or Digital Artist.
• Reel demonstrating robust high end Feature Film VFX experience.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Graphics, Fine Art, or equivalent work experience.
• Experience with Shake, Nuke, or proprietary equivalent.
• Experience with Maya, 3dsMax, XSI, or proprietary equivalent.
• Experience with Adobe Photoshop.
• Excellent organization and interpersonal skills
• Strong knowledge and understanding of Lighting, Compositing, Digital Matte Painting, Texturing and Modeling.
• Proven track record of successfully working in a supervisory capacity on several major productions (5 years).
• 10 years hands-on digital production experience.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.