Vice President Finance
Hearst TelevisionNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Vice President, Finance
The Vice President, Finance position offers the right candidate a tremendous opportunity to be a part of the Hearst Television senior management team and have an impactful role in the company's day to day operations. The Vice President, Finance will lead a team of both regional and corporate finance professionals. This will be a highly visible position partnering with both station and corporate executive management to develop challenging financial goals, operating plans and insightful revenue and expense metrics. Responsibilities will include partnering with operating teams to develop and drive initiatives, leading annual financial planning (including long range planning, annual operating and capital budgets and forecasting), performance measurement / reporting, decision support, and strategic projects. The position will also be involved in managing annual capital expenditures.
Position reports to Hearst Television's Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer. The position will also provide direct financial analysis and/or decision support to HTV's president and two executive vice presidents responsible for station operations.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Oversee all the financial planning and analysis functions across Hearst Television. Provide strong leadership, vision, development and accountability for the regional finance hubs and the corporate financial planning and analysis team. Set direction and deliverables for internal teams and external partners within tight time frames.
• Lead the HTV annual budget, periodic financial forecasts, and long-term planning processes as a member of the senior management team. Evaluate financial results and provide insightful variance/trend analyses, a readout on key metric performance, and an understanding of both internal and external business trends.
• Build and maintain strong customer orientated relationships with executive group heads responsible for oversight of station operations. Ensure that insightful observations are provided for decision support on all aspects of station financial results, operational matters impacting spending trends - identifying key risks and operational sensitivities.
• Partner with the HTV Controller and the Hearst Corporate finance team on evolving the existing shared service model with a focus on leveraging the newly installed Oracle general ledger and planning systems, and emerging technologies.
• Collaborate cross-functionally with the HTV corporate executives responsible for HTV's ad sales, engineering, marketing, digital and news operations. Consult with the department leaders on the preparation of annual budgets, interim forecasts, projects and long-term spending needs.
• Consult on the HTV commission, compensation, and incentive plans. Provide insights and benchmark against established target metrics and contemporary practices. Interface with HTV's Human Resources team on benefit, compensation and employment related matters.
• Develop analyses, reports, and information to enhance the dissemination of timely, relevant and accurate financial and KPI information to HTV's senior executive team. Make recommendations to implement improved business intelligence and information delivery systems.
• Proactively benchmark HTV's key metric performance against relevant industry metric information and available financial results. Provide interpretations and analyses that assess the impact on HTV's operations and financial results.
• Prepare ad hoc presentations / analyses / reports for executive senior management. Participate in the preparation of the materials for HTV's quarterly review with Hearst senior leadership.
• Liaison with the executive team on strategic projects and integration of acquired assets.
• Foster productive working relationships with Hearst Corporate departments:
• Office of the CFO including the Corporate Controller, Vice President of Financial Planning and Analysis, and Vice President of Finance
• Internal and external audit teams
• Treasury, Tax and Risk Management
• Hearst Shared Services Center
• Benefits and Legal
• Ideally 15 years of experience in progressive finance roles.
• Proven experience of relevant financial modelling, analysis and reporting experience with proven track record of forecasting and budgeting.
• Understanding of the role of finance as a business partner and ability to influence the organization.
• Extensive experience developing and monitoring operating and capital budgets and creating insightful, actionable reporting and measurement protocols.
• Track record of managing business intelligence resources and the application of data analytics to forecast trends and outcomes.
• Experience managing, developing and building a corporate finance team in multiple locations.
• Experience building and sustaining strong working relationships with senior operating executives, key stakeholders, operating teams and finance team members.
• Working knowledge of Oracle general ledger and planning systems.
• Finance or Accounting degree.
• MBA and/or CPA or CMA required.
• Media industry experience preferred.
• Team-oriented leader with the ability to effectively coach, mentor and develop staff.
• Invested in the growth and success of the team members.
• Results-oriented with advanced financial skills, strong work ethic and ability to perform effectively in a collaborative, matrix management environment.
• Demonstrated aptitude to deliver on multiple assignments, meet tight deadlines, be effective and decisive under pressure.
• Possesses confidence and presence to interact and present at senior management and executive levels.
• Forward thinker with well-developed critical thinking skills who considers long-term trends and broad business implications when determining approach or recommending actions.
• Knowledge of finance best practices and how to exploit technology to enable productivity and collaboration.
• Possesses excellent written and oral presentation skills.
• An effective leader with excellent interpersonal and communication skills who can quickly build rapport, establish trust and develop effective working relationships.
Hearst Television owns and operates television and radio stations serving 26 media markets across 39 states reaching over 21 million U.S. television households. Through its partnership with nearly all of the major networks, Hearst Television distributes national content over nearly 70 video channels including programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, MY Net, MeTV, This TV, Estrella and more. The radio stations are leaders in Baltimore news/talk and rock music listenership. Hearst Television is recognized as one of the industry's premier companies and has been honored with numerous awards for distinguished journalism, industry innovation and community service. Hearst Television is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hearst.
Hearst Television is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sex, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or disability status.