Hearst TelevisionLouisville, KY
Full Time Job
Market news leader WLKY is looking for a reporter who has the ability to generate story ideas, write to video, and produce compelling live shots. The perfect candidate is a strong, take-charge reporter who hits the ground running every day, loves breaking news and is highly competitive. WLKY reporters are story generators - we're looking for someone who finds the stories that lead newscasts. In addition to credibility, poise, and personality; you must be a versatile, enterprising self-starter who is fast, efficient, works well under tight deadlines, can develop sources, and has excellent live reporting skills. Must be willing to work nights and flexible with schedule due to breaking news and other staffing needs.
• Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional
time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary
• Works well with photographers and producers to craft compelling stories
• Regularly plans, gathers and assembles stories on day-of news or special project assignments
• Coordinates with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content
• Develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance.
• Will contribute pictures, video and text updates to social/mobile platforms consistently throughout the day
• Past reporting experience(2-5 years) required
• Demonstrated ability to enterprise and uncover
• Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work
• Related military experience will be considered
• Strong writing and storytelling skills
• Ability to operate mobile transmission devices and use latest technology
• Can work in all weather conditions and carry up to 50 pounds
• Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends
• Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
• Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent proven work experience.
• Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.