Hearst TelevisionKansas City, MO
Full Time Job
KMBC/KCWE, the Hearst owned ABC/CW affiliates in Kansas City, has an opening for a Full-Time News Photographer to join our award-winning staff. We are looking for a journalist who loves to tell the story with the camera. The winning candidate goes beyond the 5 W's to find the characters, emotion, and moments that make a story compelling. Our new team member also understands the importance of breaking news and responds to it with the urgency required. We don't share gear, so you'll be a good steward of your Sony PXW-320X and related equipment. Your assigned laptop is loaded with Adobe Premiere and configured to upload stories directly to our servers. Editing stories is not just pushing buttons. Our ideal candidate can make a good story better with how it's woven together. We utilize ENG, SNG, and TVU for live sources, so a strong understanding of those operations is preferred. Exceptional time-management abilities, effective communication, and organizational skills are critical. Contributions to our digital platforms is an expectation. If you're a team player with a great work ethic and a passion for visual storytelling, we'd like you to join our newsroom!
• Shoot and edit assigned stories for broadcast and on-line postings.
• Collaborate with the assignment desk and reporters to cover daily stories.
• Gather video and still pictures for digital platforms.
• Work with reporters and producers to ensure the best content and facts are gathered.
• Maintain assigned equipment and report needs for repair or scheduled maintenance.
• Assist with show editing as needed.
• Must have computer and non-linear editing software experience. (Adobe Premiere Preferred)
• Previous newsroom experience preferred.
• Related military experience will be considered.
• Can organize and prioritize.
• Must be a self-starter.
• Ability to work effectively while under deadline.
• Efficient operation of ENG trucks and bonded cellular technology (TVU)
• Can work in varied weather conditions.
• Must have a valid driver's license and good driving record.
• Can carry up to 50 pounds of equipment on a regular basis.
• College degree in broadcast journalism, or related field preferred.
• Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.