Hearst TelevisionOklahoma City, OK
Full Time Job
KOCO-TV has a unique opening for a self-motivated individual who wants to win each day. We are seeking an Assignment Editor/Special Projects Producer/Digital Specialist. The successful candidate will have a take charge attitude when it comes to breaking news on all platforms, researching in-depth and investigative stories and the creation of long-form content. We are looking for a smart journalist who finds distinctive enterprise stories and oversees news coverage that sets us apart.
• Listen to multiple police scanners which cover more than a dozen agencies throughout our market-must have great ''scanner ears''.
• Gather and organize press releases, emails, phone calls and viewer tips. Take initiative and decide which of the above will yield compelling content for newscasts.
• Assist news management with content gathering and planning.
• Keep track of crews in the field and maintain communication with them.
• Furnish content and post it to all digital platforms-including but not limited to sending push alerts, Twitter and Facebook posts.
• Generate/develop content for daily newscasts, long-form specials and targeted sweeps reports
• Research and gather elements for in-depth and investigative stories
• Conduct interviews in the field
• Must have experience listening to police scanners.
• Must have advanced knowledge of digital platforms, especially social media. Successful candidate will be required to monitor multiple social media accounts in order to gather content and communicate with news makers.
• Either have a working knowledge of FTP or an ability to learn how to FTP video to other stations.
• Familiar with local newsgathering technology and terminology.
• Must be highly organized.
• Have the ability to work multiple projects simultaneously.
• Excellent news judgement in line with Live, Local, Late-breaking brand and in determining and developing long-form content.
• Must be able to foster and maintain professional working relationships with newsmakers.
• Have the ability to gather information from multiple sources simultaneously and quickly push it out to anchors, reporters, producers and digital editors.
• Must have a sense of urgency and be able to thrive in a high-pressure breaking news and weather environment.
• Be able to remain calm and level-headed during breaking news situations.
• Must have excellent communication skills.
• Willing to work a variety of shifts including weekends and nights.
• College degree in broadcast journalism, broadcast news, or related field preferred
• Military training and experience in related field will be considered