Style & Gear Editor
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Style & Gear Editor, Men's Health
Can you explain selvedge denim in a captivating way? Are you excited when a Bluetooth-connected coffee table with refrigerated-drawers hits Kickstarter? Are you passionate about pomade? Are you constantly on the hunt for killer deals? You could be the Style and Gear editor for Men's Health.
This position reports to the Editor-in-Chief of Men's Health, the world's largest men's magazine. In this role, you'll work across the brand's platforms (with a primary focus on menshealth.com) to identify unique style, grooming and gear concepts to be executed as short and longer-form features, e-commerce packages, and videos.
You will play a key role in developing and top-editing fresh, irresistible, and on-brand copy. You should be a speedy editor with a proven, strong story sense, capable of producing articles and packages that both drive traffic and engage readers' interests. You'll also be responsible for identifying accomplished freelance writers, style, grooming and gear influencers and overseeing their incorporation into the Men's Health brand.
You should have a passion for making a man's life better through what he wears, what products he uses and what he buys. You should be analytics-minded, comfortable monitoring, reporting and exceeding traffic goals; executing e-commerce strategies; and identifying editorial and social growth opportunities for the web site.
• Conceive, plan and execute ambitious daily style, grooming and gear content for menshealth.com
• Conceive, plan and execute a host of new franchises, based on top performing past analytics
• Work closely with Branded Content Editor and Digital Publisher to create aff-comm and advertising partnership content
• Create and execute big-idea packages, franchises and destination centers for web and (as needed) print
• Edit and project-manage copy, including newsletters, affiliate packages as needed
• Assist in monitoring, reaching, and exceeding online traffic and affiliate goals
• Work closely with all departments including IT, design, production, SEO, and advertising
• Monitor and analyze metrics to advise on decisions about site content
• At least two years' experience creating men's lifestyle content at a digital-first editorial outlet
• Intimate working in and with all top-tier social platforms and an impeccable understanding of SEO, including how to optimize content to reach the top of Google Trends or Google News
• Have an impressive network of freelancers
• Have an preternatural ability for sniffing out a winning style piece
• Familiarity working in a CMS
• Solid understanding of Men's Health's audience and editorial mission
• The ability to shift gears quickly in a daily web publishing environment
• Proven ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
• A strong service-journalism sensibility
• Ability to work closely with other editors and autonomously
Note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in .pdf format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work