Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Hearst Magazines Digital Media reaches more than 100 million people around the world every month on digital platforms connected to loved and trusted brands like Cosmopolitan, Delish, Esquire, Elle, Runner's World, and 29 television stations.
You'll join a diverse, supportive community of engineers who are creating a modern content technology stack - built from the ground up - to give our users, editors, and advertisers tools that enable them to tell amazing stories. We're using modern web technologies to do this, like React, Webpack, GraphQL and Python. We're building an open, service-oriented platform driven by APIs, and believe in crafting simple, elegant solutions to complex technological and product problems. Our platform is built on AWS and Kubernetes with deployments automated through a Slack bot.
Our ideal candidate is a passionate, primarily back-end, software engineer who is eager to learn and contribute to team success.
We're looking for someone who can quickly pick up a new framework and implement thoughtful solutions within it, writing clean, object-oriented code. We believe that the best candidate will be considerate of their teammates and highly value collaboration.
• Be part of a development team that innovates and creates modern tools and features that will be used across the entire Hearst content platform.
• Participate in key software design, working directly with other engineers, the product team, devops, and the editorial team.
• Takes initiative to constantly improve individually and as a part of a team.
• Has experience in a role building software for consumer-facing web applications, preferably large-scale and content-focused.
• Has the ability to take a feature or service to full completion, from working with our back-end tech through front-end implementation.
• Has 2 years of Python experience.
• Is eager to learn any other languages/frameworks that apply.
• Relational databases / data models
Bonus Points for:
• Database performance tuning / caching strategies
• Django experience
• Logging and monitoring tools
• Understanding of microservices architecture
• RESTful API integration
• GraphQL API integration
• Working in an Agile development team (Scrum preferred)
• Amazon AWS
• A degree in Computer Science or a related field
*This position will be located in PA or at the Hearst Tower in NYC.