Senior Associate Editor
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Senior Associate Editor, Men's Health
Men's Health is seeking a smart, enthusiastic, and experienced senior associate editor to write, report, assign, and edit stories for both print and online. Will oversee trending news and pop culture coverage on menshealth.com-typically assigning, editing, and/or writing 3 to 4 posts a day on everything from Game of Thrones fan theories to what the Rock is actually cooking on Instagram-and will also be responsible for overseeing 2 to 3 front of book culture and lifestyle features in each issue of the monthly magazine. Must be deeply engaged in popular culture, celebrity, memes, and online trends, and know how to combine #trending data analytics with an instinct for who and what people are eager to read about on any given day. The ideal candidate will also have some experience with the long-lead editorial forecasting and planning needed to produce a monthly publication. Will play a key role in developing and top-editing fresh, irresistible, and on-brand copy both online and in print. Must be a speedy editor with a strong story sense, capable of producing articles and packages that both drive traffic and engage readers' interests. Will also be responsible for identifying accomplished freelance writers. Should be analytics-minded; comfortable monitoring, reporting and exceeding traffic goals; and identifying editorial and social growth opportunities for the web site. NOTE: For consideration, please submit a resume in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of writing and editing work.
• Conceive, plan, and execute daily trending news and culture content for menshealth.com.
• Conceive, plan, and execute a host of new culture franchises, based on top performing past analytics, for both print and web
• Oversee a variety of front-of-book features in the monthly magazine on topics ranging from pop culture to sex and relationships
• Create and execute big-idea packages, franchises, and destination centers for web and print
• Assist in monitoring, reaching, and exceeding online traffic and affiliate goals
• Work closely with all departments including IT, design, production, SEO, and advertising
• Monitor and analyze metrics to advise on decisions about site content
• Five years of experience creating men's lifestyle content in print and/or online.
• Experience working in and with all top-tier social platforms and an impeccable understanding of SEO, including how to optimize content to reach the top of Google Trends or Google News
• Have an impressive network of freelancers
• Familiarity working in a CMS
• Strong visual and photo research skills
• Solid understanding of Men's Health's audience and editorial mission
• The ability to shift gears quickly in a daily web publishing environment
• Proven ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
• Ability to work closely with other editors and autonomously