Pop Culture Editor - Newsroom
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Hearst Digital Media is looking for a Pop Culture Editor to join its centralized newsroom. In this vital role, this person will be responsible for pitching and writing everything from quick entertainment hits to viral food news to smart second-day takes on the topic of the day. We want someone who is immersed in the social conversation and has a lot to say about the latest tear-jerking ''This Is Us'' storyline, and can touch on just why millennials are obsessed with the latest Starbucks drink.
The Pop Culture Editor can write quickly and with wit, intelligence, and humor, has endless ideas both big and small, and has serious internet savvy. This person should be someone who lives online and knows what readers respond to and what they don't, and cares about the why. Exceptional writing and brainstorming skills are essential, as are self-motivation and the ability to meet tight daily and weekly deadlines.
This position reports to Hearst Digital Media's News Director, and works closely with all brands, including Cosmopolitan.com, Esquire.com, Delish.com, GoodHousekeeping.com, and more.
• Pitch and write entertainment, royals, and lifestyle news
• Pitch and write unique second-day stories with a strong voice and point of view
• Determine which TV shows, movies, and events the Hearst brands should be obsessed with right now
• Pinpoint food and lifestyle trends before anyone else
• Be intimately familiar with analytics, and program content accordingly
• At least five years creating content for a media property, preferably in digital
• Three or more years' experience writing and editing entertainment and/or lifestyle content, ideally with some commentary and opinion mixed in
• Solid judgment as to what works to drive audience and engagement
• Excellent writing, editing, and brainstorming skills
• Obsession with all things celebrity, news, and lifestyle
• Working knowledge of SEO, Photoshop, and content management systems
• Experience tracking real-time and long-term analytics
• Bachelor's degree
Note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in .pdf format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work