Managing Editor - Bestproducts.com
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Do copy errors make you cringe? Can you craft catchy headline copy in your sleep? Do you find pitch meetings to be one of the best parts of the day - as long as there's caffeine involved? Do you have a passion for managing a team and find it the most fulfilling part of your day? If so, then come and join our team of editors!
Hearst Digital Media is looking for a managing editor for BestProducts.com, Hearst's rapidly growing product review site. The managing editor must be a skilled, approachable leader - experience managing a team is a must, along with a track record of being awesome - and a savvy top editor with a strong knowledge of SEO and a love for all types of product content.
This person needs to be confident assigning and editing across several verticals, including tech, parenting, fashion, food/drink, beauty, fitness, home, travel, lifestyle, and appliances. The ideal candidate should be as excited providing feedback on the best video games as they are editing smart home appliances and the best boyfriend jeans. We're looking for someone who can work closely with an editor to take a piece of content from good to great, adding clarity, serviceability, and formatting elements to improve readability. This person will report directly to the site director.
- Manage a team of 12 content editors and use performance metrics to set goals and provide ongoing career coaching.
- Oversee day-to-day execution of the editorial content strategy (assignments, planning, deadlines, and editing).
- Help develop in-depth longform reviews to improve the expertise and serviceability across all our verticals, providing constructive feedback to the team.
- Manage the editorial pitch process and assign content based on search and social initiatives. (You know the difference between a shareable story idea and a search-friendly one.)
- Keep an eye on traffic and analytics to make sure the team is hitting big-picture traffic goals and help the team prioritize updating top-performing content.
- Support the site's rapid growth and content expansion.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in a fast-paced digital environment, with a focus on top-editing and assigning content.
- Must have experience managing a team (and your past teams love you!).
- Excellent communication and leadership skills.
- Proven ability to manage hectic daily content deadlines.
- Proven passion for digital media and well-versed in a content management system.
- Should have a collaborative spirit and be energetic and approachable. (Quick drive-by questions at your desk are totally fine if they solve the problem faster!)
- Versed in using Omniture, Chartbeat, and/or Google Analytics (and you're not afraid to use 'em!).