Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
O, The Oprah Magazine is seeking a Business Coordinator who is highly-organized, creative and business-minded to assist the Managing Editor in editorial business operations, and the Research Marketing Director in the advertising department. The hybrid position will provide support in financial planning for both the editorial and marketing teams, assistance in preparing annual budgets, controlling expenses within the budget, and ensuring all budget ledgers are maintained and accurate at all times. Additionally, the role will support the marketing team in creative marketing materials through the review, summarization and analysis of research information, which will be developed into sales materials and presentations for the sales team to use in the marketplace.
The successful individual will possess good communication and problem-solving skills, and be well-organized, detail-oriented and able to prioritize tasks. High competency of key computer programs, including excel and powerpoint is a must and illustrator is a plus. The ability to manage multiple tasks and stay on deadline are required in this role. Our desired candidate will possess a high-energy, can-do attitude, and will thrive in a multi-faceted, fast-paced environment.
For advertising department:
• Compiling and distribution of monthly business reports:
• Mutual/Exclusive/Missing business report from PIB data
• Share of Market reporting for O Magazine's competitive set and Hearst
• As-needed Starch ad efficiency analysis, including monthly presentation of results to staff
• Monitoring and update of monthly materials and sell sheets
• Prepare, maintain and update media kit materials, both in printed pieces and online
• Develop business presentations for customers and management.
For editorial department:
• Manage and track all editorial contract agreements for writers and illustrators
• Help generate estimates for manuscript costs
• Work with Managing Editor to run cost analysis
For both editorial and marketing teams:
• Effective budget management: regularly assess budget and costs, and ensure accruals are managed and closed in a timely way
• Assist in all vendor payment needs: check requests, advance payments, trouble shooting of late/missing payments
• Order office supplies, business cards, etc
• Response to routine questions and requests, referring higher level requests to the managers and/or directors, as appropriate
• Support in financial planning and analyzes to meet company's revenue goals
• Document all business activities for reference purposes
• Attend team meetings to collect and convey information required for business planning.
• Flexible team player willing to do whatever is necessary to keep office operations flowing smoothly
• Excellent multitasker capable of both following the directions of administrators and noticing for themselves what needs to be done
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the tact and diplomacy to deal with a variety of colleagues, clients and vendors
• Paying attention to detail so that errors do not occur
• Representing the company positively through manners and actions
• Exhibiting a calm demeanor to keep office stress levels under control
• Displaying a track record of dependability
• Superior ability to take direction and execute well
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
• Ability to work accurately in a deadline driven environment
• Ability to work independently and adhere to deadlines
• Ability to handle a high volume of assignments and work confidently within a small staff
• Detail-oriented, adept at problem-solving and possess strong organizational skills
• Proven ability to multi-task successfully and prioritize work
• Strong computer skills, including excellence in excel, Illustrator, Powerpoint
Minimum 1 year of work experience required; preferable in the publishing field.