Manager, UX Research, Player Experiences - HBO Max
Full Time Job
Manager, (Lead) UX Research, Player Experiences - HBO Max
Location: United States - Washington - Seattle
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.HBO is one of the most respected and innovative entertainment brands in the world, serving iconic, award-winning programming to 140 million subscribers globally. A subsidiary of WarnerMedia, HBO is the world's most successful pay TV service with an extensive array of programming that includes some of the most notable titles to be on television, including drama series Succession®, Watchmen®, Westworld®, Big Little Lies®, Game of Thrones®, The Sopranos®, Band of Brothers® and The Wire®, as well as comedy series Barry®, Insecure® and Sex and the City®. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
UX Research is an essential part of the HBO Max product design process ensuring the viewer experience is as rewarding and user-friendly as the high quality slate of programming available on HBO Max. As a Lead UX Researcher for Media Player Experiences, you will create and manage a research program touching on all aspects of playing and interacting with TV, movies, and future entertainment - across all streaming platforms and devices. The Lead is responsible for the research program OKRs delivering research that drives value for our viewers and business. research practices promoting listening to diverse perspectives from our viewers and among our teams. The Lead is a member of the UX Research team and collaborates with peers to inform overall research priorities, promote diverse thinking and a growth mindset, establish best practices, develop operational processes, provide coaching, managing and training to team members.
• Create and manage a research program for Media Player Experiences ensuring the HBO Max branded experience is useful and delightful across all devices and platforms.
• Collaborate with designers, project managers, and engineers to identify research roadmap activities to support product feature releases and future concepts for exploration.
• Lead team innovation sprints and incorporate user centered design activities throughout the product design process.
• Plan and conduct all research including, project scoping, scheduling, budgeting, staffing, recruiting, legal logistics, technical logistics, study moderation, data analysis, reporting, and team communication.
• Plan and conduct end-to-end research including but not limited to; project scoping, scheduling, budgeting, staffing, recruiting, legal logistics, technical logistics, study moderation, data analysis, reporting, and team communication.
• Depending on the scope and complexity of research, you may plan and execute studies as a sole researcher or you may lead and manage a small team to perform the work.
• Initiate and oversee the execution of each research effort. Work with a crossfunctional team to prioritize areas of focus for research.
• Consult on human factors, UCD best practices, and recommend research activities.
• Manage, supervise, and support junior to senior UX Researchers.
• Vet, hire, and manage outside vendors as needed to support the work.
• Help grow the UXR team's expertise, explore new ways to discover user insights, acquire new tools and resources for the lab, and help teams understand and apply best practices.
• Seasoned experience conducting exploratory and evaluative design research on media streaming players and for interactive experiences.
• Experience testing TV consoles and remotes, gaming consoles and remotes, phone, tablet, desktop, and voice.
• Experience managing research projects and product testing in international markets, and testing for greater inclusion and accessibility.
• 5 years experience as a Lead or Senior UX. Researcher, with more than 8 years working in UX research
• Graduate degree in Engineering Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology,Computer Science, Cognitive Science, or a closely related field.
• Experience working on interdisciplinary product development teams with large stakeholder groups
• 2 or more years managing junior, mid, or senior level UX researchers
• Project scoping, budgeting, scheduling and resource management of multiple simultaneous user research efforts.
• Expert in experimental design for qualitative research, user-centered design methodology, data analysis, and reporting and communicating results.
• Expert in study session moderation/facilitation for in-depth-interviews, cognitive walkthroughs, usability studies, and contextual inquiry.
• Strong command of a broad set of qualitative and quantitative user research methods with the ability to discern and recommend the right method(s) for a project.
• Demonstrated ability to define and implement Agile UX research practices.
• Strong client-management skills; ability to adapt to a variety of individual styles
• and approaches in order to deliver the appropriate insights and support each requires.
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.