Principal Technical Artist
FoxnextSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
Fogbank Entertainment seeks a Senior or Principal Technical Artist to manage character rigging/ animation pipelines, collaborating closely with artists, animators, cinematic directors, and engineers on deploying content creation best practices, vetting incoming assets for adherence to technical requirements, implementing assets into a custom Unity pipeline, and developing scripts and tools for content-creation quality-of-life. The Technical Artist is an experienced game developer with a strong focus on modeling, rigging, animation, automation, and cinematic production processes.
• Collaborate with art, design, and engineering leadership on driving and establishing best practices.
• Research new methods of pushing the visual and performance quality of our games.
• Identify and drive execution of solutions to pipeline and technology deficiencies within the studio.
• Collaborate with technical and aesthetic experts within the studio to define and drive clear goals for tools, pipelines, and implementation processes.
• Negotiate between disciplines for technical solutions that all parties can work with.
• Identify and execute solutions to pipeline and technology deficiencies within the studio.
• Review pipelines and content creation processes to identify best practices. Create processes and recommend tools to enforce these best practices.
• Collaborate with engineers on the creation of custom Unity tools and identify the best off the shelf tools for our needs.
• Work closely with the internal and outsource art teams on asset integration - vet incoming content for adherence to technical specs, and export/ implement assets into Unity.
• Work with engineers and other tech artists across studios to help unify pipelines and process
• Foster and maintain effective relationships inside and outside our studio
• 10 years of dedicated technical art experience.
• Minimum 2-year 2D/ 3D art degree or equivalent. BFA or equivalent preferred.
• Have shipped multiple mobile products from pre-pro through commercial release.
• Expert knowledge of 3D/ 2D software packages (Maya, MotionBuilder, zBrush, Photoshop, etc.).
• Experience in Esoteric's Spine a STRONG plus.
• Solid understanding of optimal art/ animation pipelines on mobile devices, especially Android/ iOS.
• Strong hands-on working knowledge of Unity 5 or Unity 2017.
• Strong understanding of Unity C#/ Python/ Pymel/ MEL scripting languages or similar systems.
• Experience with creating or adding functionality to character animation rigs.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
FoxNext is driving immersive, next generation entertainment experiences in the areas of augmented and virtual reality, mobile, console/PC games and location-based entertainment across Twentieth Century Fox Film and Fox Networks Group. The division consists of FoxNext Games, FoxNext VR Studio and FoxNext Destinations.