Fox SportsLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
FOX Sports is searching for a News Editor to join their team in Los Angeles. The News Editor for the Executive Editorial team will serve as a daily editorial resource for studio programming and production at FS1. They will partner with talent and production staff across all of our discussion and interview shows – First Things First, Undisputed, The Herd, Speak for Yourself and Lock It In – to vet complex topics and to provide resources for tackling such topics. The News Editors in the Editorial Department will assemble and distribute a dynamic daily story budget (Hot List) of news and angles to be considered for discussion. They also are responsible for providing producers and content teams with updates and points of view on the day's storylines.
• Leverage sports knowledge and news judgment to monitor content and topics for FS1 programs
• Work with Producers to maintain editorial direction and to map plans for questionable content.
• Provide on-air talent guidance on news stories and guest interviews
• Ensure that Fox Sports is igniting discussion, advancing stories and adding info to the sports discourse.
• Consider product/opportunities to ''make news'' on our studio shows
• Reports directly to VP of Executive Editor team for Studio Productions
• Review high-profile segments and generate links to be shared with executive team
• Take active role in guest requests, planning and preparation
• Identify newsmakers to inform takes and add buzz
• Generate master list of news and storylines on the tent-pole subjects that fuels our discussion
• Take part in daily production meetings to monitor and facilitate high-risk content
• Monitor and share daily rundown, topic list to and from every show
• Identify red flags for producers and management. Develop solutions for on-air (and digital)
• Monitor web, assets, assignment desk for relevant updates
• Watch the shows – live, tapings, re-airs or Snappy – every day
• Be available through the day to coach and prepare Talent and Guests
• Work with Assignment Desk to help prioritize video and updates
• Develop emerging / overlooked storylines, including production plans for execution
• Manage, train and direct junior staff and intern(s) in Executive Editor department
• BS/BA in Journalism, Communications, Multimedia or other related degree strongly preferred
• Minimum of 5 years of editorial experience required, preferably in the online or TV media
• Excellent communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills
• Critical thinking, news judgment and detail orientation are essential
• Must have strong computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook required)
• Proven sports knowledge is requirement
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
FOX Sports is the umbrella entity representing 21st Century FOX's wide array of multi-platform US-based sports assets. Built with brands capable of reaching more than 100 million viewers in a single weekend, FOX Sports includes ownership and interests in linear television networks, digital and mobile programming, broadband platforms, multiple web sites, joint-venture businesses and several licensing partnerships. FOX Sports includes the sports television arm of the FOX Broadcasting Company; FS1; FS2; Fox's 22 regional sports networks, their affiliated regional web sites and FSN national programming; FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2Go; FOX Deportes and FOX College Sports. In addition, FOX Sports also encompasses FOX Sports Digital, which includes FOXSports.com, FOX Sports GO, Whatifsports.com and Yardbarker.com. Also included in the Group are FOX's interests in joint-venture businesses Big Ten Network and BTN 2Go, as well as licensing agreements that establish the FOX Sports Radio Network.