Fox News ChannelWashington, DC
Full Time Job
Fox News is looking for an organized, motivated, curious individual with strong logistical and editorial skills to join our assignment desk team in the Washington D.C Bureau. The Assignment Editor works with a team of people to coordinate daily news coverage, which includes moving crews, adjusting to cover breaking news and responding to cover a consistent flow of events at the Capitol, White House, Pentagon, State Department and other venues in DC. The Assignment Editor also prioritizes incoming editorial & logistical information and ensures it is clearly communicated to those who need it. Aggressively seeking out additional information and pitching stories is critical to success in this position. A natural curiosity of news is a must.
A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assign, move and adjust crew coverage to keep the network competitive at all times
• Work with beat producers to plan and adjust coverage as news breaks
• Monitor wires, social media and other broadcast networks for news developments
• Reache out to agencies, government departments and fox personnel to gather and confirm information
• Draft and distribute information to field, show and network personnel
• Organize and develop creative plans to maximize limited resources
• Coordinate with field, technical and satellite desk personnel to make sure incoming feeds between DC and NY are prioritized to provide the most competitive coverage
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
• A Bachelor's degree and 5 years of experience in a local or national newsroom
• Strong logistical and editorial skills with knowledge of national and international politics
• Familiarity with the various D.C. government agencies
• Keen understanding of how to gather news LIVE in the Washington, D.C. area
• Familiarity with satellite trucks, Live U technology, AVOC and various fiber drops
• Knowledge of network pool operations at the desk level with an emphasis on understanding the unilateral benefit
• A self-starter attitude with the flexibility to work independently, as well as in a team setting
• Willingness to work multiple positions on the assignment desk
• Ability to multitask, prioritize and work in a fast paced environment on a daily basis, and especially in breaking news situations
NICE TO HAVES
• Familiarity with iNews, Outlook and ScheduAll a plus
• Knowledge of the DC area a plus
Please attach a resume to be considered, applications without resumes will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
Fox News Channel
FOX News operates the FOX News Channel (FNC), FOX Business Network (FBN), FOX News Radio, FOX News Headlines 24/7, FOXNews.com and the soon to launch OTT platform, FOX Nation. FOX News also produces FOX News Sunday on FOX Broadcasting Company and FOX News Edge. A top five-cable network, FNC has been the most watched news channel in the country for more than 16 years. According to a 2018 Research Intelligencer study by Brand Keys, FOX News ranks as the second most trusted television brand in the country while a Suffolk University/USA Today survey states that FOX News is the most trusted source for television news or commentary in the country. FNC is available in 90 million homes and dominates the cable news landscape while routinely notching the top ten programs in the genre.