Fox 31 DenverDenver, CO
Full Time Job
KDVR/KWGN NEWS PRODUCER
Are you a now producer, with a hungry rundown, chock-full of urgent and impactful information?
Do you excel at winning breaking news and weather coverage on-air and online?
Are you interested in working in one of the best cities in America – with the Rocky Mountains in your background, and all the hiking, skiing, snowboards, and excitement you can handle?
If so, then this job is for you! KDVR/KWGN in Denver, Colorado, is looking for its next NOW producer to join our team. The successful candidate should do what it takes to consistently produce a show that stands out as best in their market. You should know how to “produce up” a story. You should live and breathe social media and thrive at integrating it into your shows.
We’re seeking someone with 4 years of news producing experience. A Bachelor’s degree in a related field, and a valid driver’s license with a good driving record, are required.
There will be a ton of candidates for this job. How will you make your application stand out?
• Be creative and create compelling and memorable newscasts
• Write creative headlines and teases
• Maintain working knowledge of current events, community issues, and local contacts
• Search wire services, network feeds, websites and social media to find relevant material for newscasts
• Collaborate with news operations staff to build graphics
• Act as leader in facilitating teamwork of staff members
• Work with directors and anchors on presentation of stories
• Clear, concise, conversational writing skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Demonstrate solid news judgment
• Maintain strong journalistic ethics
• Strong initiative and attention to detail
• Research and brainstorm story ideas, present ideas in editorial meetings
• Generate promotable story ideas daily
• Post and update stories to station website and social media sites, engage viewers
• Communicate with the web staff during breaking news
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned
• Write news stories
• Monitor competition’s shows and websites for missed leads
• Assist producers in formatting other newscasts Essential Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge of newsroom software
• Knowledge of web posting software
• Strong research skills, including online research using various search engines
• Ability to stay current with national and local news/weather
• Intermediate-level knowledge of social media
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure
• Ability to work independently with little supervision
• Demonstrate leadership through training and mentoring less experienced staff members; guide others to get the desired outcome
• Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment; work well with co-workers
• Edit video and audio on industry standard equipment
• Build graphics and use effectively in shows
• Handle and adjust to last-minute changes
• Make quick, accurate decisions during the on-air process
• Select and write active, forward-looking, and conversational news stories and teases
• Look for ways to incorporate the station’s website, KDVR.com, and station’s social media sites into broadcasts and coverage
• Demonstrate leadership and command decision-making responsibilities in control room during breaking news
The position offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefits package, including group health & dental, paid time off, 401(k) and more.
KDVR/KWGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This station seeks and employs qualified people in all job classifications and positions without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability.
Due to the volume of applications received we will not be able to verify receipt of your resume or applications. A KDVR/KWGN representative will contact you for a phone or in-person interview, should your application be selected.
Tribune Media Company (NYSE: TRCO) is home to a diverse portfolio of television and digital properties driven by quality news, entertainment, and sports programming. Tribune Media is comprised of Tribune Broadcasting's 42 owned or operated local television stations reaching more than 50 million households, national entertainment network WGN America, whose reach is approaching 80 million households, Tribune Studios, and a variety of digital applications and websites commanding 60 million monthly unique visitors online. Tribune Media also includes Chicago's WGN-AM and the national multicast networks Antenna TV and THIS TV. Additionally, the Company owns and manages a significant number of real estate properties across the U.S. and holds a variety of investments, including a 31% equity interest in TV Food Network and a 32% equity interest in CareerBuilder.