Transmission Systems Technician II
Full Time Job
The Transmission Systems Technician II is a public representative of Media Engineering and of ESPN through routine communication and coordination with other departments, fiber providers, technology vendors and affiliates. This position is responsible for acquiring and transporting distribution and contribution based content globally as well as small projects as assigned by Management. A technician is responsible for the quality control, security, and continuity of ESPN's Networks and business initiatives with an emphasis on the following technologies: RF, fiber, compression, video, audio, and IP. Performance must be accurate, timely, and with a professional demeanor befitting this role. Work must be carried out with a minimum of supervision.
• Provides support for ESPN's Global Fiber Optic Partners for both optical and compression technologies
• Diagnoses and determines corrective action for first and second tier technical problems, and refers more complex problems to appropriate departments and more senior engineers and managers for resolution.
• Monitors distribution compression systems to ensure content distribution, coordination and quality of optical transport technology meets ESPN's standards.
• Conducts routine routing, switch and control activities necessary to ensure broadcasts operate according to specification.
• Operates and provides training of test equipment to monitor Transport applications and identify problems.
• Works daily with 3rd party fiber providers on RFOs and maintenance notifications
• Provision Ethernet and Video services globally over ESPN's private fiber network ESPNet
• Process Video, Audio, and Data signals for use in ESPN production facilities including video level and color adjustment, audio shuffling and level adjustment, lip-sync and video timing.
• Regularly interact and maintain positive relationships with departments throughout ESPN.
• Regularly represents ESPN to partners and Affiliates throughout the world as a second level technician.
• Regularly interacts with remote and ESPN freelance representatives to turn-up new fiber optic links for major events
• Support 3rd party fiber provider's connectivity into ESPN
• Coordinate, execute, and communicate replacement of failed equipment globally
• Responsible for communication, resolution and follow-up of daily operational issues with internal and external partners.
• Provides training for internal and external technicians on daily workflows as assigned.
• Execute smaller projects/tasks as assigned.
• Work closely with Senior Technicians on new workflow proposals and operational integration of new projects.
• Minimum 1-3 years of Broadcast or Fiber Optic Industry Operational experience
• Availability to work in a 24 x 7 environment including weekends and holidays.
• Excellent communication, organization, problem solving and computer skills
• Advanced knowledge of various fiber optic standards and transport delivery methods, including SONET, SDH, DWDM, CWDM, LAN Phy and WAN Phy technologies
• Advanced knowledge of MPEG 2 Transport stream technologies and standards.
• Advanced knowledge of MPEG and JPEG compression hardware, software, and standards
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a deadline-oriented live television environment.
• Advanced knowledge of IP protocols such as BGP, IGMPv2 & 3, TCP/IP, SNMP, SSL, HTTPS, and DNS
• Has advanced knowledge of LAN and WAN IP related equipment
• Understanding of Distribution DPI Technologies (SCTE 104 / SCTE 35).
• Ability to work within a high-pressure deadline oriented team environment
• Advanced knowledge of Internet and CDN contribution and distribution technologies
• High School Diploma or equivalent technical school graduate
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Computer Science or a minimum of 3-5 years' experience in broadcast or fiber optic industry technologies
At Disney, we're storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.