Transmission Specialist II
Full Time Job
The Transmission team is seeking a Transmission Specialist II to join our team. The Transmission Specialist II is a public representative of the Transmission Department and of ESPN through routine communication and coordination with other departments and with outside service providers and affiliates. This position includes the hands-on operation of satellite, fiber, IP and cellular transport technologies, in a fast-paced ''live'' environment. You will be challenged to leverage your technical skills to solve diverse problems. This position will also manage highly complex, addressable satellite distribution systems for domestic and international ESPN networks, OTT and streaming Networks. Performance must be accurate, timely, and with a professional demeanor befitting this role.
• Responsible for the high-quality distribution, switching, and quality control monitoring of all full-time and occasional ESPN networks regardless of the format (linear television, digital, fiber, etc.).
• Work closely with Managers of Transmission, Affiliate Business Operations, Programming, Network Control, Content Integration, Network Traffic, and the ESPN Assignment Desk to implement correct allocation and distribution of ESPN program signals.
• Act as ''first line'' technical liaison to Affiliates, ESPN clients, 3rd party providers, and remote customers to troubleshoot signal issues.
• Manage affiliate access based on contractual obligations. Ensures accuracy of blackout & regionalization information and accurate transmission of all feeds
• Setup, test, and monitor all contribution signals whether they are for any of ESPN's networks throughout the globe or for highlight purposes.
• Signal processing to prepare Video, Audio, and Data content for use in ESPN production facilities including, video level and color adjustment, audio shuffling and level adjustment, lip-sync and video timing.
• Monitors Network signals and initiates corrective actions either with Transmission support or outside departments.
• Provide general suggestions on modifying procedures and processes for more streamline workflow.
• Ability to adjust to live programming changes.
• Regularly interact with and provide excellent customer service to departments throughout ESPN and external customers.
• Keeps departmental management informed of equipment failures and operational concerns.
• Responsible for follow-up and resolution of daily operational problems through direct communication with other ESPN departments and outside companies.
• Embraces new technologies.
• 2-5 years of experience in transmission, technical television broadcast or related field
• Excellent written and oral communication, organization, problem solving and computer skills
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a deadline-oriented live television environment
• Availability to work in a 24 x 7 environment including weekends and holidays (A rotational schedule typically every 6 months or based on business needs)
• Minimum 3 years demonstrated broadcast technical operations experience in a medium or large market
• Ability to work within a high-pressured deadline oriented team environment
• Familiarity with television transmission operations, MPEG and JPEG Codec and ASI stream analyzers
• Has fundamental knowledge of RF and related test equipment
• Has fundamental knowledge of fiber DTM technology
• Knowledge of network protocols (TCP/IP, DNS, etc.)
• Understands encryption systems used for front-haul/back-haul transmission applications
• High School Diploma or equivalent technical school graduate
• Bachelor's Degree or comparable experience in communications, electronics, satellite/antenna or RF theory, compression distribution systems, fiber / optical technology or broadcast television related experience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN, Inc, which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.