Sports Betting Analytics Specialist
Full Time Job
Sports Analytics is a multidisciplinary group where all members have deep knowledge of sports, statistics, databases, programming logic and languages, and storytelling. Combining best-in-the-industry data with advanced mathematics and statistical modeling skills, Sports Analytics has created storytelling tools and metrics which have improved the evaluation of team and player performance, such as Total QBR and power ratings for college football, college basketball and soccer. These products make fans better informed and help keep ESPN at the cutting edge of sports statistical analysis.
The Analytics Specialist will be integrally involved in the formulation of these performance metrics, as well as ones related to gambling. Candidates need to demonstrate competency in constructing algorithms and complex formulas that explore new areas of analytics, ideally in sports. But the role doesn't end with the numbers. He or she will be required to turn this information into language that allows integration into storytelling across all ESPN platforms, including linear TV and digital. Translating the complex into understandable language is a key component.
The Analytics Specialist will work in a team environment, and will have the skills to partner with other Analytics Specialists as well as Stats & Information staffers outside the Analytics Team. This includes giving peer feedback, leading meetings and training sessions, and mentoring Statistics and Information employees.
Ideal candidates will possess the following traits:
• Demonstrated ability to regularly produce ideas on areas of opportunity within performance analytics and gambling metrics for ESPN
• Meticulous attention to detail in striving for 100 percent accuracy
• The ability to thrive under deadlines
• The ability to work both independently on a project and as part of a team
• Strong technical skills and the ability to understand ESPN's data structure
• Demonstrated excellence working with multiple departments to achieve a common goal
• Strong verbal and presentation skills
Take a look at some of the work our team does: https://vimeo.com/310563830
• Use advanced mathematics and statistical modeling to formulate sports performance metrics
• Identify the key components in these complex formulas and turn them into language that allows them to be readily used in storytelling across ESPN platforms
• Educate other members of the Stats & Info Group, as well as other members of the Production department, on Sports Analytics storytelling tools
• Collaborate with the Analytics Content Developer and ESPN Technology partners to write scripts, queries and code to transform data into automated metrics across our digital platforms and internal research tools
• Identify trends and react to news stories on a daily basis, using the new tools the Analytics Team develops, other products available to the Stats & Information team and tools available in the marketplace
• Analyze third-party statistics providers with an eye toward recommending potential deals, and collaborate with third-party vendors to produce metrics for ESPN
• 3-years' experience with sports analytics, or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills and ability to perform the job
• Demonstrated ability to construct algorithms to explain or predict performance
• Demonstrated ability to use predictive modeling, statistics, trend analysis, and other data analysis techniques
• Strong understanding of probability.
• Need to have a working knowledge of players, teams and the rules of the games
• Available to work occasional nights, holidays and weekends
• Demonstrated ability to ensure accuracy of content
• Competency with demonstrated experience in a programming language such as R, PL/SQL, VBA, or Python
• A knowledge of sports statistical analysis in the marketplace
• Experience building and testing models designed to outperform gambling markets
• Statistics, engineering, advanced mathematics or econometrics degree
• Experience turning sports analytics into storylines, especially around gambling and related metrics
• Experience in digital and/or television sports production
• Full availability for this position, which will include nights, weekends and holidays
• Strong sports knowledge, both historical and current
• Bachelor's Degree in statistics, engineering, mathematics, economics or a related field of study
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.