Senior Java Software Engineer
Full Time Job
As a Senior Software Engineer in Data Platforms, you will help design, build and support the underlying data architecture for all of ESPN's sports, content and consumer data that serve our business and 112 millions of fans across the globe on digital and broadcast with millisecond latency. We want an amazing Software Engineer to join our team. We are looking for someone who is creative, passionate, and excited about building with few limitations and a lot of data.
You would be exposed to all phases of software development and architecture and would have the opportunity to work on our real-time end to end data processing pipeline, persistence, storage and API's (which handle millions of transactions every day and store hundreds of terabytes of data). This is a chance to work with the newest cloud based data technologies to solve scalability and high availability challenges within a motivated, fast growing team. This is a critical role that will have a significant impact on the direction of our product, technology and business.
We are looking for someone who…
• Has the curiosity to research and learn new technologies and skills and recommend technical direction
• Employs positive thinking and is able to work constructively in a team setting
• Is passionate about data engineering, big data and related technologies
If this sounds like you, ESPN wants your help building the future of sports content delivery.
• Build cool things – Build software across our entire cutting-edge data platform, including data processing, storage, and serving large-scale web APIs, with awesome cutting-edge technologies. We operate in real-time with high-availability.
• Harness curiosity – Change how we think, act, and utilize our data by performing exploratory and quantitative analytics, data mining, and discovery.
• Innovate and inspire – Think of new ways to help make our data platform more scalable, resilient and reliable and then work across our team to put your ideas into action.
• Have pride – Ensure performance isn't our weakness by implementing and refining robust data processing, REST services, RPC (in an out of HTTP), and caching technologies.
• Grow with us – Help us stay ahead of the curve by working closely with data architects, stream processing specialists, API developers, our DevOps team, and analysts to design systems which can scale elastically in ways which make other groups jealous.
• Not your first rodeo – Have 6 years of experience developing with a mix of languages (Java, Scala, Bash, etc.) and frameworks to implement data ingest, processing, and serving technologies. Experience with real-time and very large scalable online systems are preferred.
• Data and API ninja –You are also very handy with No-SQL systems such as Cassandra; Understand reactive programming and dependency injection such as Spring to develop REST services.
• Have a technology toolbox – Hands on experience with newer technologies relevant to the data space such as EMR, Kafka, Hive, Chef. You'll have plenty of experience with developing in a cloud native environment.
• Problem solver – Enjoy new and meaningful technology or business challenges which require you to think and respond quickly.
• Passion and creativity – Are passionate about data, technology, & creative innovation.
• Affinity for sports.
• Prior experience building internet scale platforms.
• Experience with Apache open source such as Spark, Kafka, and Mesos/Yarn.
• Proficiency with agile development methodologies.It would be awesome if you have a robust portfolio on Github and / or open source contributions you are proud to share.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline or its equivalent.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.