Senior Deputy Editor
Full Time Job
The Senior Deputy Editor is a managerial job overseeing the editorial operations for ESPN Digital & Print Media's eSports, combat sports (MMA, Boxing, WWE), Fantasy, Gambling and Insider coverage. The position manages both people and process, and requires an understanding of a 24/7 news environment that includes desktop, mobile, social and personalized platforms. This role is responsible for strategic and tactical planning, providing vision and direction for all of the digital sports coverage, and integrating with cross-platform entities including television, radio, production, etc. This job is based in Bristol, CT.
• Direct a staff of managers, editors and reporters in a highly competitive, rapidly changing environment.
• Work to bring a distinctive, compelling and authentic voice to all Digital & Print products.
• Develop comprehensive multimedia coverage that includes video, audio, text and interactivity, and partnership with all appropriate ESPN properties.
• Recruit, hire and develop talented employees who are innovative storytellers that contribute to all of ESPN's platforms.
• Coordinate staffing assignments, budget management, editorial resources and process.
• Collaborate with design, product and technology managers on presentation and site enhancements.
• Maintain proficiency and knowledge in latest trends, technology and best practices for social media
• Maintain proficiency and knowledge in latest trends and best practices for visual storytelling
• Maintain proficiency and knowledge for SEO
• Ensure all content meets established tone, theme, accuracy, style and consistency requirements.
• Work with Sales to develop content with sponsorship potential.
• Identify opportunities for strategic growth in both revenue and traffic metrics.
• Minimum of 10 years of experience in editorial and content creation, including at least four years in people management.
• Understanding and appreciation of news, story play and trending topics.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and news judgment.
• Basic knowledge of all major sports
• Appreciation of popular culture and contributes to an understanding of the tastes of ESPN's audiencesKnowledge of HTML and related web authoring tools and software, search engines and audience acquisition
• Exposure to technical and product teams in a digital media organization
• In-depth knowledge of one or more of the coverage areas (eg. Fantasy, eSports, combat)
• Experience with paid content strategy, digital paywalls, etcFamiliarity with tools that measure online traffic, consumer habits and usage patterns.
• High School Diploma
• Bachelor's degree or higher in Journalism, Communications, English or a related field.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Internet Ventures, which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Internet Ventures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.