Part-Time General News Editor
Part Time Job
The ESPN General Editor Universal News Group (part-time) will focus on gathering, vetting and disseminating news content for every ESPN platform. This position is part of our cross-platform Universal News Group, which works with all our television and audio shows, digital platforms and social channels to provide timely, accurate, contextual information to our audience no matter where they are finding it. Candidates should have a solid news sense, proven journalism skills and an instinct for what audiences need to know and what they are interested in. Successful candidates should be able to react quickly and think clearly when news breaks and audiences need to know what's right and what it means. Synthesizing information, working with reporters, fellow editors and producers, writing headlines, editing copy, looking over scripts – all of it happens every day as a moment' snotice. The ability to work as part of a team, as well as interacting with diverse groups throughout the company, all in a fast-moving environment, is a must to succeed in this role.
• Part of the decision-making process of gathering, evaluating, interpreting and packaging news fairly, accurately and consistently across all ESPN entities for viewers, users and listeners
• Works independently and to make, timely decisions in an urgent manner with limited supervision
• Participates in compiling, prioritizing and highlighting key content for all platforms with some oversight
• Demonstrates ability to line-edit and recommend news entries for digital, print, mobile, television, and social content.
• Writes and rewrites news stories from a variety of sources and for a variety of presentations
• Uses sports knowledge and journalistic judgment to help determine the agenda, concepts and content of assigned sports news stories
• Creates, develops, organizes and edits content of assigned sports news stories
• Helps determine style, edits copy to meet established tone and theme requirements, enhances assigned content
• Has experience in journalism and excels at writing, reporting and shaping stories at all stages of development
• Excels in deadline situations; has regularly demonstrated ability to produce high-quality content under significant time constraints
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in journalism, making editorial and content decisions
• Recognized ability as a content editor who functions primarily as an individual contributor
• Has mid-level knowledge of several technology platforms and editing software packages; readily applies new development
• Has an appreciation of ''What's Now'' and assists with defining the tastes of ESPN's viewers
• Has an understanding of ESPN's editorial policies and strategies
• Has ability to create and write compelling sports news stories; generates and executes story ideas from concept to execution
• Has working level of sports reporting and news packaging processes and the ability to gather, interpret and create assigned sports news stories
• Has a medium level of knowledge of real-time sports news production
• Has mid-level knowledge regarding technological advances in animation, video editing and graphics
• Has and applies a level of knowledge of what story ideas and concepts to use for assigned sports news stories
• Strong communication/interpersonal skills
• High school degree
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism, preferred?
**Relocation assistance is not provided for this role**
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.