Director - Business Affairs & Legal Counsel
Disney ChannelBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Director, Business Affairs & Legal Counsel (TVA)
This position will have day-to-day responsibilities for the animated television series development and production projects for Disney Channel, Disney XD and Disney Junior, and will report to the Vice President, Business Affairs & Legal Counsel. Such duties will include deal negotiation, drafting of contracts, issue spotting, advice on rights and legal clearance, and resolving intellectual property and other issues. This position is expected to work in a collaborative fashion with (a) other members of the Disney Television Animation (''TVA'') Business and Legal Affairs team, (b) members of key departments of TVA and the ABC Cable Networks Group, including Business Affairs, Legal Affairs, Creative, Finance, Production, Programming, Acquisitions, Marketing, Brand Management, and Digital Media, (d) Labor Relations, and (e) business partners throughout the company with respect to exploitation of animated content, including Disney Consumer Products, international Disney Channels, and Publishing.
• Meet with creative, production and finance executives to determine what deal parameters should be and advise regarding labor and related issues;
• Negotiate deals and successfully liase with talent representatives;
• Draft and finalize contracts;
• Review and advise regarding intellectual property issues and clearance as to content;
• Work with third party production companies with respect to business affairs and legal matters on assigned productions
• Work with business partners throughout the company to advise and document as necessary with respect to exploitation of TVA content outside of television broadcast.
• Successful management, coordination and oversight of projects and related issues
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in a law firm or a minimum of 5 years of experience in combination with a law firm (minimum of 2 years in the law firm) and a network/studio
• Solid work experience with respect to contract law, first amendment issues, and/or intellectual property law (including defamation, right of publicity, parody)
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent analytical skills
• Excellent negotiating and drafting skills
• Ability to prioritize according to time-sensitive needs of productions
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent ability to work cooperatively with a team
• Related experience in entertainment-related field, with emphasis on contracts, copyright, trademark and other intellectual property law
• Experience in employment law, including wrongful termination and wage and hour issues
• J.D. required
• Must be a member in good standing of a State Bar
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.