Summer Intern - Newsgathering Operations
Disney ABC Television GroupNew York, NY
Full Time Unpaid Internship
ABC News - Newsgathering Operations is responsible for all logistics, transmission and engineering for day-to-day news coverage, as well as special projects. The intern will rotate between all Newsgathering Operations departments, helping with support functions and learning what's involved with bringing together various technologies to facilitate the telling of news stories from the field. The intern will be exposed to all areas of field operations; including transmission, field equipment, crew coordination and various IP based broadcast solutions. He or she is expected to be hands-on, and his/her responsibilities will increase as the individual learns throughout the internship (and based on previous experience).
A day in the life…
• Rotate between the News Acquisition, Live Streaming, Logistics and Field Engineering departments
• Assisting in coordinating production resources to help producers and clients tell stories
• Booking crews, taking in feeds, and tracking equipment
• Organizing information in critical systems used for transmission, crew coordination and equipment tracking
What you bring to the role…
• A strong ability to collaborate and be part of a team but also self-sufficient
• A basic understanding of television production ss
• Proficiency in Excel and cloud productivity suites (Google Docs I Office 365)
• Leadership position in a student television station, video production club or other related extracurricular activities
• Undergraduate students in their Junior year, senior year or recent graduates
• Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
• Video production experience (educational or professional)
• Computer networking and/or software coding experience
• All candidates must possess unrestricted work authorization
• All candidates must be at least 18 years old
• All candidates must currently be enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class – OR – be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months - OR - be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program in order to qualify for this internship
• All candidates able to work in the New York City office and must provide their own housing and transportation for the duration of the internship
• All candidates must be able to have a consistent, reliable work schedule throughout the session
• All candidates must be available from May/June to August/September
• All candidates must be willing to work 40 hours/week
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.