Sr. Web Engineer
Disney ABC Television GroupBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Sr. Web Engineer (Full-Stack)
In the Digital Media Technology team at the Disney|ABC Television Group we build high-traffic, over-the-top applications and services for a variety of mobile, desktop, and streaming media platforms. Our Technology team is responsible for development of the Emmy Award-winning ABC Player, the Emmy Award-winning 83rd Academy Awards Backstage Pass app for iPhone and iPad, as well as the Disney and ABC streaming apps on a multitude of platforms.
The Sr. Front-End Engineer will collaborate with the Digital Media Technology Team to develop, test, and deploy mobile and streaming device libraries and applications that give millions of viewers access to Disney|ABC video content.
The environment is fast-paced and the goals are demanding, but the projects are unique, the work is rewarding, and the team likes to have fun. Our ideal candidate is creative, energetic, deeply knowledgeable about the latest mobile and video technologies, and has a passion for demonstrating skill, precision, and quality in his/her work.
• Work with a team to design and implement native and web libraries and applications for desktop, mobile and streaming media devices
• Write efficient, reliable, and maintainable code, whether implementing architectural improvements, user-facing features, or fixing defects
• Troubleshoot and resolve issues, problems, and errors encountered across our various platforms
• Analyze and optimize application code for efficiency, reliability and performance
• Understand product architecture, assisting the Software Architects as necessary
• Manage multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
• Work with minimal technical supervision and supplemental engineering support
• Embrace a highly collaborative team that rewards quality code and effective communication
• Operate as a resource to less experienced Software Engineers, providing an open learning environment for cross-team knowledge sharing
• Mentor Associate Software Engineers and Software Engineers
• Stay current with the latest development best practices
• Lead design and code reviews
• Provide a focus on repeatable processes and process improvement
• Expert in object-oriented software development
• Expert knowledge of HTTP standards, capabilities, and best practices
• Experience working on highly available and dynamically scalable web applications
• Experience with web application monitoring tools and analyzing performance metrics
• Experience with setting up and maintaining web application build tools such as Webpack or Grunt
• Experience architecting and implementing web applications with highly dynamic and personalized content while considering server-side performance and costs
• Experience with and solid understanding of multithreaded programming
• Fundamentally sound with design patterns
• Ability to collaborate in a small, productive development team as well as ability to work independently
• Experience with unit test frameworks and continuous integration systems
• Expert in software engineering best practices
• Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; can effectively articulate complex ideas and influence others through well-reasoned explanations
• Proficient at documenting engineering solutions
• Knowledge of XML
• Knowledge of UI/UX best practices
• Knowledge of accessibility best practices
• Knowledge of security best practices
• Experience with TDD or BDD development
• Experience with video technologies such as encoding formats, closed-captions, adaptive streaming, and digital rights management
• Experience with IAB video advertising standards
• Experience with analytics collection and data engineering
• Experience with federated authentication systems such as Adobe Primetime
BS in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.