NAC Media Manager
Disney ABC Television GroupWashington, DC
Full Time Job
ABC News is looking for a Manager of the Washington DC Bureau's News Acquisition Center to oversee the day-to-day operations of the 24/7 department.
The Manager of the Washington DC NAC will be responsible for all scheduling of non-union and union personnel in the department. They will also be expected to cover regular shifts in the room as well as oversee the overall managerial duties to ensure a smooth operation.
The News Acquisition Center (NAC) is responsible for booking and managing all feeds in and out of ABC's Washington DC News Bureau, as well operational coordination for ABC News programs, ESPN shows based in the bureau, breaking news and large scale planned special events. The department handles a constant level of video feeds routed through the Bureau via satellite, microwave, fiber and IP, therefore a deep understanding of those areas is a must for candidates. Candidates must be self-starters, flexible, enjoy working in a fast-paced news environment and have great attention to detail. This department operates in a high-level of coordination and documentation with routing of live shots, pool feeds, guest interviews, live hearings and breaking news for distribution for all ABC platforms and clients. The Manager will also play a significant role in large special events with all transmission routing and documentation.
Candidates must have experience in managing multiple projects at once, be a skilled manager, have excellent communication skills both verbally and written, and a minimum of seven years' experience in the news business. They must also be a team player and also enjoy working solo, as well as building relationships with internal employees and outside colleagues. The NAC Manager will report to the Senior Manager of Media Operations.
• Day-to-day supervision of union represented NAC Engineers and non-union NAC Producers in execution of their duties, and assisting them with troubleshooting when needed.
• Oversee the scheduling of NAC personnel (both union and non-union, staff and freelance) including sick calls.
• Working with News Engineering to insure NAC equipment is working efficiently.
• Oversee the coordination of all feed requests in and out of the bureau, and ensuring their quality.
• Careful documentation of all feeds in and out of the bureau, and NAC resource usage.
• Manage the coordination with New York's On-Air control rooms during live shows and Breaking News. This includes live shot check-in, routing, and communication setup.
• Ordering and coordination of feeds with the NY NAC.
• Organization of all Washington feed traffic for large Special Events (i.e. State of the Union, Inauguration, etc).
• Oversee existing workflows, and assist in the development of new workflows.
• Days longer than 8 hours should be expected.
• Other responsibilities may be added as workflows change
• 7 years of Network level television experience, and traffic/operations coordination
• Must be flexible to work as required. This will include early mornings and late evenings, and may include weekends.
• Must be able to work in a stressful breaking news environment.
• Must be well organized and extremely attentive to details.
• Previous management experience
• Working knowledge of DC metro area and government logistics
• Understanding of video routing and HD video standards
• Knowledge of satellite, fiber, microwave, and IP transmission techniques
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.