Director Of Network Programming Costs
Disney ABC Television GroupBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
The Enterprise Financial Services Programming Center of Excellence supports all of The Walt Disney Company's broadcast and cable businesses. This team has responsibility to account for the programming costs for over 100 hundred channels across the ABC, Freeform and Disney Channels Worldwide businesses. The team manages the commitments and payments to suppliers as well as the amortization of expenses for thousands of titles a year. These range from award winning shows such as the Academy Awards, Modern Family and The Middle acquired for ABC in the US to small local language titles acquired for the DLife channel in Japan and Disney Junior in Spain.
The purpose of this job is to lead the team that manages the ~$3bn of programming expenses for all of DATG's different network businesses. TWDC produces and licenses the rights to thousands of different Films and TV shows to air on its networks and this role will be responsible for the end to end accounting life cycle as the production costs and third party license fees are managed for 100 networks throughout the world. The person in the role needs to use their subject matter expertise to drive efficient best practices and a consistent approach to common issues and tasks for the programming across all of the networks. The key objectives that this job needs to deliver include compliance with accounting standards for program expense recognition, timely payment of our commitments to suppliers, and advanced analytics to identify P&L variance analysis for programming expenses and insights in to the programming assets/liabilities and commitments. A new third party computer system is being implemented to manage/support a lot of the deliverables of the team so as the team leader this position will be responsible for its successful deployment and ongoing use of the system.
• Program Amortization – oversight of the amortization for all acquired programming for ABC, Disney Channels Worldwide and Freeform including working with the Transaction Support team to assess complex accounting issues, help evolve accounting policies in light of the changing business model for TV content and implementation of any changes to policy e.g. preparation for launch of the new Direct to Consumer SVOD service
• Program payments – ensure that payments are made on a timely basis for all of the shows and ensure that we have a tightly controlled approval process to mitigate risk of fraud and ensure that costs have been verified appropriately prior to full payment
• Development costs – oversee management of development costs for ABC, Disney Channels Worldwide and Freeform and work with creative management as necessary to develop improved reporting/analytics
• Quarter close reporting and analysis – leverage team to complete all deliverables needed to support the quarter close for the five different business units (ABC Entertainment, ABC Daytime, Disney Channel US, Disney Channels Int'l and Freeform) including variance analysis, account analysis and Tax related deliverables
• Staff management and leadership – lead an inspire team to world class level of performance
• Must have at least ten years' of experience working in accounting and experience leading a team of people
• Demonstrated ability to lead teams, develop innovative solutions to business problems, implement new technology and drive best practice
• Knowledge of TV Programs Accounting processes
• Strong positive / can-do attitude and comfortable interacting with all levels of the organization
• Excellent written and verbal communications
• Strong interest in TV business and workings of Broadcast and Cable TV industry
• Experience managing issues related to Foreign Exchange
• Project management expertise with a track record of driving results
• Business-oriented mindset with an understanding of strategic issues that the business is facing
• Bachelor's degree required
At Corporate, you'll team with the best in the business to build one of the most innovative global businesses in any industry. Uniquely positioned at the center of an exciting, multi-faceted Company, the forward-thinkers at Disney Corporate constantly pursue new ideas and technologies to help the Company's many businesses drive value, all the while gaining something valuable from the experience themselves. Come see the most interesting Company from the most interesting point of view.
This position is a legal entity of The Walt Disney Company, an equal opportunity employer.