Digital Platform Editor, ABC News
Disney ABC Television GroupLondon, UK
Full Time Job
ABC News is seeking a Digital Platform Editor to be based in our London office on a 12 month fixed term basis. The Digital Platform Editor will be responsible for managing ABC News' core platforms and programming the experience for our audience on desktop, mobile, apps and OTT. This person will also be responsible for writing and selecting push alerts for our app users and Apple News audience.
We are seeking a seasoned candidate with extensive editorial experience. The candidate must demonstrate impeccable editorial judgment as this person is our first line of defence when news breaks.
The Digital Platform Editor should have an understanding of trends across mobile news delivery, especially video. This individual will be responsible for creating and iterating digital programming strategies that help ABC News effectively engage with a growing audience in a rapidly changing digital environment.
Additionally, the Digital Platform Editor will be responsible for coordinating and sharing editorial and programming best practices with the broader Audience Development team to drive digital audience.
Due to the nature of breaking news, the ideal candidate should be flexible in terms of their schedule. As this is position contributes what is essentially the 'night shift' for the US, the working hours for this position would be 7am – 3pm.
• Use a mix of editorial judgment and metrics to determine the placement of content across ABC News' owned digital platforms.
• Partner with internal data and product teams to develop optimization best practices.
• Work with the Audience Development team to analyze content performance and provide actionable insights that help inform content strategies across the organization.
• Must be available for evenings and weekends where necessary.
Suitable candidates will ideally possess the following skills and experience:
• Minimum three years of relevant experience in a digital media news organization.
• Prior experience programming digital platforms for a national or local news site.
• Knowledge of the digital media ecosystem including mobile.
• Strong writing and editing skills.
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment.
• Ability to fill other shifts when needed because of breaking news or other editorial responsibilities, such as holidays.
• Knowledge of AP style and SEO.
• Expertise in mobile and push alert strategy.
• BA/BS or equivalent work experience
Right to Work
Please note that all of our UK based roles require you to have the existing right to work in the UK.
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ABC News Intercontinental, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.