Deputy Editor - Graphics & Interactive
Disney ABC Television GroupNew York, NY
Full Time Job
FiveThirtyEight is looking to hire a full-time Deputy Editor, Graphics and Interactives, to oversee our interactive graphics team, managing a staff of visual, computational and database journalists. Exceptional interactive data visualization is an integral part of what we do, and we fully appreciate the value it brings to our brand. We are looking for a person who can use data and web and visualization technology to tell stories, manage and mentor a talented and creative group of visual journalists, and serve as a senior leader in the FiveThirtyEight newsroom.
FiveThirtyEight is located in New York, NY, and this position requires the candidate work in the office on a regular basis.
The Deputy Editor for Graphics reports directly to the managing editor and is responsible for:
• Overseeing a team of journalists – visual, computational and database journalists -- charged with creating data-driven interactive features and charts. This includes ''big swing'' interactive features and dashboards, as well as smaller-scale graphics, both interactive and static, on a daily and weekly basis.
• Setting and refining FiveThirtyEight's style for data visualizations, graphics and long-term projects
• Helping to plan and execute FiveThirtyEight's long-term journalistic priorities as a site.
• Supervising members of the interactives team to ensure career development and performance on-par with team and organizational goals and priorities.
• Minimum 7 years' experience working on a wide variety of high-quality, intuitive interactive features, such as election results maps, that present a lot of data in a manner that is easy to use and understand.
• Minimum 2 years' experience as a manager – of a team of visual and interactive journalists, or of a team with similar skill-sets in a related field.
• Serious candidates should have extensive knowledge of at least one statistical language (R, Stata, etc).
• Candidates should have a portfolio that demonstrates an understanding of storytelling on multiple platforms, particularly mobile, as well as a clean, elegant and sophisticated aesthetic.
• They should have a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across.
• Demonstrated ability to build statistical models.
• Experience reporting and/or editing written features in a newsroom environment.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.