Counsel - Freeform
Disney ABC Television GroupBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Legal Affairs for Freeform is searching for an attorney to work in the role of Counsel who will provide support in structuring, negotiating, drafting and advising on deals relating to the development, production and acquisition of television programming. This person will work in a supportive role as they continue to develop legal expertise, judgment and experience that is expected of more senior positions.
• Draft, negotiate and oversee a wide variety of above-the-line talent agreements and other types of agreements relevant to entertainment content, including those involving the development and production of original scripted television pilots, series and made for television movies, and unscripted programming produced by Freeform.
• Draft and negotiate long form co-production, acquisition, license and development agreements in connection with third party produced or co-produced content.
• Provide analysis and advice in connection with legal rights and obligations, deal structure, intellectual property matters, claims, audits, major guild agreements and other matters.
• Provide legal counsel related to rights and production clearances (trademarks, copyrights, defamation, rights of publicity and privacy), including with respect to fact-based projects.
• Provide general oversight and legal supervision over all legal matters that relate to assigned projects.
• Provide counsel to creative, business affairs, marketing and production executives, and to television writers, and producers and production teams.
• Train and assist junior attorneys and support staff in departmental legal matters and duties as appropriate.
• Learn and assume responsibility for one or more specialty areas of legal expertise within the legal affairs team.
• Continue to develop an in-depth understanding and knowledge of the industry.
• Continue to develop external legal contacts to stay abreast of industry trends/legal developments.
• Membership in the California Bar or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel required.
• Entertainment, intellectual property, corporate transactions and/or litigation experience at a law firm and/or experience as an entertainment lawyer at a production company, major studio or television network, with a minimum of four (4) years combined experience.
• Possess basic knowledge of industry best practices specific to business or legal specialty.
• Exceptional organizational, prioritization, and time management skills with the ability to manage a high-volume work load efficiently and effectively, the ability to execute multiple, high-priority projects, and a keen attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to solve problems in a professional, creative and ethical manner.
• Strong drafting and negotiation skills, along with the ability to work under deadline and provide significant individual contributions while working as part of a diverse and dynamic team.
• Ability to communicate effectively and positively with all levels of management, including senior level executives.
• Professional, confident demeanor and superior analytical skills.
• Excellent academic credentials and references.
• Ability to perform duties with limited supervision while exercising discretion and independent, sound judgment.
• Strong interpersonal skills and a teamwork-oriented attitude with ability to build relationships and interact effectively with people at many different levels both within and outside the company, including other attorneys, senior executives, producers, show creators, artists, production coordinators, diverse in-house client groups, and outside production personnel
• Supervisory Responsibilities: This executive will share an Administrative Assistant whom they will help manage
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney/ABC Cable Services, which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.
Disney/ABC Cable Services is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.