Discovery CommunicationsWaco, TX
Full Time Job
The VP of Publicity is responsible for creating and overseeing the implementation of program publicity campaigns for the Joint Venture’s series and specials as well as managing and implementing national and local market branding/communications initiatives. The Vice President must work closely with the President and Network departments including production, scheduling, marketing, multi-platform, advertising/affiliate sales and corporate to develop and implement publicity strategy. Vice President must also work closely with outside producers, agents, publicists and talent for the Joint Venture’s programs. The ideal candidate will be located in Austin or Waco, TX.
1. Manage and oversee multiple communications and program publicity campaigns, including development of press strategy.
2. Create and execute national consumer, trade and local publicity initiatives in conjunction with promotional colleagues in Marketing On-Air and Strategy, Media Partnerships and Digital & Social Media and liaise with counterparts across Discovery Networks’ portfolio of brands.
3. Serve as the Communications lead and go to person for production & development teams and increase consumer & trade-based media bookings & visibility.
4. Write and edit press announcements, press kit materials, remarks/speeches, talking points, internal communications and other materials, and manage the flow of this information to media.
5. Pitch programming and network stories to trade and consumer press, follow up on media requests, staff media set visits and talent media appearances, and develop close working relationships with members of the press.
6. Work closely with Network talent on pitch points, press interviews and local and national media tours.
7. Elevate profile of senior management and executives within the entertainment industry by pitching and strategizing on network profiles/stories, green light announcements, brand initiatives, and trend programming stories as well as pitching executives for industry events, panels and trade shows.
8. Manage any Awards and Festivals activities including submissions, supporting collateral, coordinating entry selections with internal and external stakeholders, etc.
9. Organize press events, including seminars/panels, press briefings, media tours, screenings and presentations for the twice-yearly Television Critics Association tour, as applicable.
10. Manage junior staff, relationships with outside public relations agencies/consultants and collaborate with outside production companies, talent, agents, & managers on press campaigns and crisis issues.
11. Work with executives, to manage crisis communications around programming, talent, business issues (i.e., advertising or affiliate client issues) or competitors.
* At least seven years of hands-on media relations experience, with increasing levels of responsibility for campaign and people management
* Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints, and to handle multiple projects simultaneously
* Superb written, verbal and interpersonal skills are essential as is an ability to think creatively and generate new ideas
* Must be an independent and strategic thinker who is a strong team player and willing to take responsibility for project oversight and executive management
* Must be able to garner respect and trust from peers and professional colleagues
* Must demonstrate an ability to cultivate and nurture relationships with members of the media
* A broad knowledge of the television industry is essential, preferably with previous program publicity or entertainment experience
* Must have legal right to work in the United States
Waco, Texas, TX
The joint venture with Chip and Joanna will offer remarkably relatable real-life stories without judgment, we share everyday heart, humor, hope, and human connection with programming genres that include fascinating families, heartwarming transformations, and life’s milestone moments.