VP - Production
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The VP Production will contribute to strategic planning, network direction, and channel management. They will be responsible for executing programming strategies through the production process.
1. Community and independent producers; and employ skills pertaining to the refining of editorial content and scripting.
2. Supervise editorial management over multiple outside production companies on multiple series/specials simultaneously and in coordination with internal departments to ensure timely and on-budget development, production and delivery of commissions, co-productions, and development projects.
3. Collaborate with producers/writers/agents/distributors to secure financing.
4. Oversee development of new content as well as research, conceive and create fresh, new ideas.
5. Review scripts and other materials for development and production.
6. Evaluate proposals, producer’s work, and refine as needed in preparation for (and throughout) production.
7. Inform and involve key departments on projects throughout all stages of the pipeline to maximize their value to the company.
8. Oversee development and production of all original programming and programming elements for DISCOVERY, including specials, series, interstitials and packaging of branded blocks.
9. Maintain adherence and accountability for all aspects of Discovery’s editorial, budgetary, and production standards as well as contractual requirements for programming.
10. Represent DISCOVERY at key programming markets, conventions and other functions as designated by the SVP.
11. Function as executive producer on select projects; may be called upon to write, rewrite, produce as needed.
12. Establish and maintain procedures for in-house production.
* 8-10 years hands-on development and production experience in long-form and short-from non-fictional genres, general entertainment, and/or LIVE TV events.
* Bachelor’s degree in related field or an equivalent combination of skills, training and hands-on experience.
* Proven record of demonstrated creativity with an ability to generate new ideas and translate them into high-quality TV programs.
* An independent thinker and idea-generator who is also a team player.
* Proficiency in TV production economics and management.
* Ability to manage outside producers, build credibility and strong working relationships with other internal executives and generate commitment to goals.
* Knowledge of all aspects of contemporary production and post-production capabilities.
* Outstanding editorial judgment and creative abilities, strong verbal and written communications skills, and demonstrated leadership skills.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY