Discovery CommunicationsLondon, UK
Full Time Job
Are you interested in shaping the future of Television, Sport and Olympics? Do you want to define the next generation of Discovery’s D2C platform? We need your passion, innovative ideas, and creativity to help build a world-class Live and VOD streaming platform to super-serve our super-fans.
We are looking for talented VP of Engineering to lead the development and deployment of a global back end platform that is one of the key enablers for a multitude of digital products across a vast array of devices.
• Lead a team of Engineers in the design and deployment of software that is enjoyed by millions of customers globally
• Define and drive key performance and quality metrics for your organisation and D2C products
• Engage and communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders including Engineers, Partners and Leaders
• Consistently demonstrate your motivation to quality achieve results in a fast-paced environment
• Customers love Discovery’s content and we have a great opportunity to innovate on their behalf. Your ability to make an impact will be directly related to how big your vision is for the team!
• This role will require travel to our offices in Paris, New York and Bellevue
You will need to have an established background in developing customer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability and great communication skills. We value individuals who are motivated to achieve results in a fast-paced environment, and have high levels of creativity, great analytical reasoning skills, and, of course, a passion for TV and Sport!
• Extensive experience in a technical leadership role (Director or VP of Engineering) and a proven track record of building and managing high-performing Engineering teams
• Deep knowledge of professional software engineering principles and best practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
• Expert in at least one of the following:
• Expert knowledge of AWS (experience with GCP and/or Azure is highly advantageous)
• Proven experience of providing technical leadership within Product Development processes in a consumer-focussed organisation
• Hands-on expertise with disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Ability to communicate and influence at all levels, from entry level Engineers to executive audiences
• Experience taking a leadership role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered
• Experienced with object-oriented design, data structures and big data systems, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Ability to work in a diverse team
• Expert knowledge of video streaming, codecs, video delivery and broadcast workflows
• Experience with high throughput, multi-threaded systems
• Experience with critical, 24x7 systems
• Ability to own P&Ls and be accountable for team Smart Goals
• Hand-on expertise with serverless infrastructure
Discovery Digital Media
Discovery Digital Media is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Communications, a high-performing global team working at the dynamic intersection of Technology and Entertainment. As content creators in the digital space, we continuously leverage our technological capabilities to create immersive viewing experiences for iconic brands including Eurosport, GOLFTV, MotorTrend and DPlay.
Delivering quality and live content first, Eurosport produces authentic, premium and innovative content, on linear and digital platforms. It combines expertise, passion and resources to develop high-value programmes and offer unrivalled coverage to viewers in 99 countries, in 21 languages. Having secured the exclusive European broadcast rights for the Olympics until 2024, there's no better time than now to join Eurosport on this incredible adventure.