Video Producer / Editor
Discovery CommunicationsSilver Spring, NC
Full Time Job
What are we looking for?
The Discovery Education CEP team seeks a dynamic, hands-on storyteller to serve as Producer/Editor in the creation of high-impact video content to support an array of corporate educational partnerships. This role is a jack of all trades- part producer, part director, part sound/camera person and part editor. You’ll be part of the team that is in charge of the video experiences our partners see online, on-air, in presentations, events/conferences or other storytelling venues. You’ll work on location, in the studio/office, and as a part of the pre/post-production team (or individually) that edits, prepares and delivers video productions that follow scripts/storyboards or ad hoc/real-world projects of varying lengths and level of production value.
This role requires the ability to translate concepts into evocative and compelling storytelling that’s also on brand through aesthetic acuity and technical knowledge of shooting, lighting, sound (including equipment) and editing in a Mac environment.
The selected candidate for this role will be creative, energetic and a self-starter that is inspired by the opportunity to create customer stories, merchandising tools, internal company announcement videos, external promotional social videos, product marketing videos, corporate training and other enterprise-wide projects. Our corporate partner programs are diverse, so the ability to think and execute across disciplines and subject areas is key – every day is a different adventure.
1. Create and develop multimedia (audio/video) content for an array of customer stories, for distribution across a variety of platforms
2. Script, storyboard, budget, allocate resources, set deadlines and select optimal forms of media for projects
3. Record and edit video and sound projects, including selecting program format for final output, capturing/importing media, organizing raw media, editing footage and sound files, creating and inserting static and motion graphics, titling, adding music/voice-over/sound effects, media management and archiving project media
4. Work independently, as well as part of a team, to establish project deliverables
5. Interact with customers and internal stakeholders to help them tell their stories on camera
6. Plan video shoots; scout, select and reserve shoot locations
7. Develop production schedules, including scope and budgets (work with internal traffic coordinator to coordinate)
8. Select and hire additional crew and talent as needed during surge periods, direct and coach talent; make transportation arrangements for crew, talent and equipment; and ensure all location power needs are met
9. Reserve and rent equipment as needed
10. Manage video library and assets
11. Evaluate video analytics from social media and other sources
12. Other video and event support tasks as needed
* Passionate about Discovery Education’s vision to transform teaching and learning, experience in or strong passion for education a plus
* Minimum 3-5 years of professional experience within an in-house, commercial studio or broadcast environment.
* Bachelor Degree in Production, TV & Film, Communications, Advertising/Marketing, or similar field
* Strong knowledge of digital formats, experience with Mac office suite: Outlook, Excel, Word, Apple Final Cut Pro, or similar and proficiency with project management tools, such as Smartsheet, a plus
* Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (Premiere Pro, After Effects) required, the ability to develop and implement creative treatments, schedules and budgets of various scopes and sizes
* Self-starter who follows through on tight deadlines while managing multiple projects simultaneously, uncompromising attention to detail, strong organizational and time-management skills
* The courage and confidence to work hard and with passion; committed to getting the job done
* Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
* Always willing to learn something new, not rigid in beliefs or expectations
* Because we all need to laugh sometimes
* Must have a high level of flexibility and adaptability with strong interpersonal skills and a team player attitude
* Some US travel required, approximately 30-60% and varies based on work load, evening/weekend work as needed
* Bachelor’s degree required and advanced degree’s preferred
* Legal right to work in the United States
Charlotte, North Carolina, NC
***If you accept a position with Discovery Education you will be an at- will employee under Discovery Education and eligible for Discovery Education benefits and compensation plans. This role is not a Discovery, Inc. position.***
Who are we?
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Serving 4.5 million educators and over 50 million students, Discovery Education’s services are in half of U.S. classrooms, 50 percent of all primary schools in the U.K., and more than 50 countries.
Discovery Education’s Corporate Education Partnerships (“CEP”) team is mission-driven and drives the organization’s public/private partnerships, collaborating across all sectors with like-minded organizations to support critical needs in the K-12 universe in order to drive youth achievement. The output of these partnerships includes cause marketing initiatives, workforce development solutions, and support for K-12 school service distribution in schools nationwide. We believe that access to dynamic learning experiences should not be dependent upon a student’s zip code and are committed to the transformation of teaching and learning in order to drive student achievement.
Explore the future of education on our website.