SVP - Marketing TLC
Discovery CommunicationsSilver Spring, MD
Full Time Job
Offering remarkably relatable real-life stories without judgment. TLC’s hit series share everyday heart, humour, hope, and human connection with brash programming genres that include fascinating families, transformations, and life’s milestone moments. TLC is a global brand available in more than 94 million homes in the US and 302 million subscribers in 194 markets internationally. TLC is part of Discovery Communications, the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer reaching nearly 3 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories.
The SVP - Marketing will provide strategic creative brand leadership and oversee all network marketing. Works closely with the President/General Manager to set strategic network direction and oversee the effective and efficient execution of all Network operations. Coordinate with functional peers (Finance, Ad sales, Digital, Programming/Scheduling, Development, Production, Communications/Press, etc.) to ensure delivery against the strategic direction and path for growth for the Network as defined by the President/General Manager.
This role may sit in either Silver Spring, Maryland or New York City, New York.
1. Ensure the efficient execution of all business operations that support the Network’s overall creative and business objectives Support the President/General Manager and CFO in managing the P&L for the Network. Work with the President/General Manager to establish a working climate and processes that encourage high productivity and is supportive of outstanding employee relations.
2. On-going partnership with senior management (General Manager/President, SVP Ad Sales, SVP of Programming & Scheduling and CFO) as a key leader of the senior network leadership team, defining ongoing business strategies and network priorities. Accountability also includes overseeing appropriate strategy and budget recommendations, budget tracking and ad sales marketplace positioning. Successfully interface between various Divisions within DCI, fully representing the strategic consumer and business point of view.
3. Develop and lead a marketing and operations staff. Lead and manage the development of overall brand strategy, creative strategies and execution of commercials, consumer research, marketing and media strategies for all network initiatives including on-air, off-air campaigns and creative ad sales requirements.
4. Work closely with the communications and media strategy teams to develop innovative on-air, cross channel off-air and guerrilla/viral marketing programs that maximize ROI. Identify, prioritize and manage third party strategic partnerships that have the potential for significant impact against marketing goals-- those that enhance the channel’s visibility and appeal to viewers, advertiser, and affiliates.
5. Be the key liaison with internal departments involved with growing the brand whether in support of distribution and revenue goals (Ad Sales, Affiliate Sales, International etc.) or in defining strategic brand extension opportunities (Corporate Business Development Team, animalplanet.com, licensed product, commerce, etc.). Provide the kind of thinking that questions the status quo to develop break-through programs that will drive the brand’s value, ratings and revenue.
* Strong creative visionary
* Strong creative voice
* Minimum 15 years of senior level marketing experience with increasing levels of responsibility
* Exceptional track record of senior management-level experience in brand marketing and/or advertising and/or television/entertainment marketing.
* Solid understanding of non–traditional marketing platforms including the dynamics of building and leveraging partnerships.
* Promotions, marketing and/or advertising experience preferably within the television and/or entertainment industries.
* Advertising and /or television management experience must include hands on involvement with advertising creative development in the television (as well as other) mediums.
* Excellent presentation, writing and conceptual skills with demonstrated experience in working with new media initiatives.
* Bachelor's or graduate degree in Marketing or an equivalent combination of skills, training and hands-on experience. An advanced degree is preferred
* Must have established relationships within the industry and key media contacts.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Silver Spring, Maryland, MD