Sr. Director, Integrated Media Buying
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Media Strategy & Analytics team acts as an internal media agency that handles the strategy, execution, and reporting of all paid & owned media vehicles with the goal of driving multiplatform viewership of Discovery Inc’s 16 networks (Discovery, TLC, HGTV, Food Network, etc.).
This role is a critical position within the Media Strategy and Analytics team, specifically within the Paid Acquisition pod. S/he will lead the Investment pod which is responsible for the buying and advancement of all paid media vehicles – TV, digital, social, search, radio, print, and OOH. There is particular focus on finding ways to make each media vehicle more data driven by leveraging emerging technology and data. Working closely with the Strategy Teams, all buys will be executed with the goal of efficiently acquiring consumers who will watch the various Discovery networks on all devices.
1. Constantly advance the capabilities of what can be bought in-house through buying platforms – with a specific focus on data driven audience buying (programmatic, addressable, and optimized buying)
2. Review plans and actively apply learnings to create best-in-class executions and ensure media buys are as efficient and effective as possible
3. The Sr. Director will lead the investment pod which will be comprised of 8-10 people who are divided into 3 sub groups: 1) Programmatic & Digital Publisher buying 2) Social & SEM 3) TV, Radio, Print, OOH
4. Effectively manage and develop the Investment pod by setting a wholistic vision for the entire groups, but also understanding the nuances of each media vehicle.
5. In partnership with the rest of the pod, serve as the media buying experts and trend-spotters to bring first-to-market media opportunities that align with business objectives.
6. Maintain and develop strong professional relationships internally (cross departments) and externally (media vendors)
7. Track, measure, and analyze performance of campaigns.
8. Work with the Acquisition Strategy team to gain an understanding of campaign specific goals in order to build targeting and executional recommendations.
9. While Discovery has taken the core planning and buying functions in-house, there will be collaboration with external agencies that specialize in barter/trade, ad ops, and, trafficking.
* Minimum 8 years of paid media planning/buying experience.
* Demonstrated expertise in media strategy and buying, ideally within a media agency.
* Experience with advanced buying models (addressable/programmatic buying is a must)
* Self-starter, highly motivated, positive demeanor, excellent communicator, and able to juggle multiple assignments simultaneously.
* Polished with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
* Experience with regular reporting, collaborative strategic planning, and performance management.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Analytical with a comfort in dealing with numbers and reporting.
* Reasonable availability to respond to requests and attend the real-time needs of campaigns outside normal business hours.
* Willingness and flexibility to “pitch in” with various ad-hoc projects to help support the larger Media Strategy & Analytics team.
* Ability to adapt to change and continually evolve skills to meet the everchanging needs of the television industry.
* Understanding of TV Everywhere and the Television ecosystem is a plus.
* Experience with Direct Response is strongly preferred with experience with attribution and conversion reporting.
* Proficient in Microsoft Office systems, specifically in Excel and PowerPoint.
* College degree required.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY