Sr Design Strategist
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
As Sr. Design Strategist, you will work collaboratively with Product, Design, Business and Brand Marketing leadership to effectively develop and deliver design strategies and compelling experiences for our Products, Platforms, Services and Experiences with increased customer and business value. An experienced Design and/or Research practitioner, you will deliver effective design thinking & innovative strategies that include participating in primary and secondary research, identifying trends, and analyzing research data to translate into meaningful opportunities and holistic product and brand solutions. You will showcase design thinking practices to deliver against consumer, business and customer needs. In this role, you will partner across multiple product, business and cross-functional teams responsible for our global multi-platform portfolios.
Your role as a Sr. Design Strategist leads while driving our product experiences to engage, delight and resonate with new and existing fans of Discovery, HGTV, Food Network, Travel Channel, Science, ID, OWN and more. You will thrive in a customer focused, customer obsessed environment using research and data to design experiences people love.
At Discovery, we’re looking for leaders, innovators and creative problem solvers who are passionate about their work, and are driven to engage, entertain and delight the millions of users who visit our digital properties every day. If you want to work on the future of media alongside amazingly talented colleagues, then this is the place for you.
This role is a Full Time Staff Position that will work on-site in our offices at New York, NY and/or Los Angeles, CA.
1. Create and deliver strategies for our global products, platforms, services & experiences.
2. Draw on diverse perspectives to solve design problems and drive effective solutions
3. Articulate design vision through prototyping, scenario modeling, strategic roadmaps, etc.
4. Work closely with Product, Business, Marketing, Brand, and Design teams to translate business requirements into meaningful product experiences
5. Collaborate to build relationships and get things done through formal and informal channels.
6. Proven ability to effectively incorporate research into the strategic design processes
7. Demonstrate keen interest in how to solve customer and business challenges through design.
8. Build relationships to align & influence across Business, Product, Technology and Marketing.
9. Demonstrate the highest standards - through clear direction to teams, stakeholders, & clients.
10. Inspire/mentor others on Product Design teams and teams within the organization.
11. Participate in Design & Experience thought leadership in both the company and the industry.
12. Understand customer centered needs, tasks and goals by translating them into smart and innovative solutions for our Product Design & Development teams.
* 5 years of experience in a strategic Design or Experience Design leadership role within a large-scale consumer facing organization, agency or multi-platform product company.
* 2 years’ experience working on high performing Brand and Product Design teams with connected product experiences/ecosystems.
* Degree in Product Design, Architecture, Engineering, Marketing, or Brand Design Strategy.
* Proven experience in Brand Strategy, Design Strategy, Insights, Communications, Innovation, Interaction Design and/or Product Development.
* Ability to manage multiple work streams & deliver the highest quality for large scale products.
* Proficiency in high level strategic thinking with the ability to identify cross product impacts
* Ability to cut through ambiguity and desire to organize it with a focus on customer needs.
* Deep understanding of product design, user experience, information hierarchy, and user-flows for Mobile, Living Room & Connected Product Environments.
* Hands on experience with variety of user research techniques including user testing, personas, user tasks and scenarios, internal and external user interviews.
* Online portfolio demonstrating broad skills, versatile aesthetic, high-end customer facing experiences, with expertise in design principles, thinking and usability. Please provide a link and any appropriate PDF materials to view your digital samples.
* Hands on team player that can work easily with multiple stakeholders including Design, Product, Engineering, Data & Research, Project Management, Marketing, Business and Sales.
* Proven track record successfully creating and managing global products, platforms & services.
* Experience navigating large organizations, developing collaborative relationship and influencing across various partner groups.
* Comfort operating in a fast-paced dynamic environment and managing change.
* Excellent oral and written skills, and able to present to small or large groups of people including Design, Marketing, Production, Product Teams, and Executive Stakeholders.
* Uncanny drive and passion to deliver the best experience for consumers and proven track record to deliver compelling, innovative and award-winning user and product experiences.
* Consumer Electronics, Entertainment & Lifestyle Product experience are a BIG PLUSSES.
* Strong history of success showcasing broad range of products and services are a MUST.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY
At Discovery, our mission is to serve passionate fans with products, platforms and experiences that inspire, inform and entertain through industry leading content and deeply trusted & beloved brands.
Discovery Digital Products is a fast-paced, innovative design, product and technology group that designs and builds industry leading products, platforms and experiences. What makes us unique from the rest of the burgeoning entertainment technology world is that we have award-winning content, work with a wide range of creators, and have the backing of a world leading Global Media Company.